Refrigerator Vent Cover

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
james.pulliam

Refrigerator Vent Cover

Post by james.pulliam »

I'm in the process of replacing and restoring things on the roof of a '89 34V. WHAT A MESS!

My question is what did the original refrigerator vent cover look like? There is a Camco refrigerator vent installed incorrectly there now, so I could either replace this one and install it correctly or buy something that is closer to original. I've seen pics that some of you have posted of your roof, and it looks similar to this one for Airstreams:

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Re ... ts-402.htm

I'm not going for keeping everything original (I've already replaced the original fans with MAXXair fans), but just whatever works best.
Razorback

Re: Refrigerator Vent Cover

Post by Razorback »

I think I ordered one of those from VTS for our Avion. The only issue I had was that it was an inch or so too short length-wise. I used some tin snips to clip the corners of the chimney, then overlapped them and riveted them to make them more radiused, which allowed the cover to fit nicely.

Last night I ran across an aluminum vent cover of that same shape.... I’ll look for it again and post a picture and a link when I find it.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Here it is......

http://airstreamsupply.com/Vents-and-Sk ... 4-H-101394
44BC49FF-E308-4A9D-9A6B-C64C1C9E7B3B.jpeg
44BC49FF-E308-4A9D-9A6B-C64C1C9E7B3B.jpeg (12.48 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
james.pulliam

Post by james.pulliam »

Oh awesome! Ordering now. Thanks!
quartzsitebruce

Post by quartzsitebruce »

FYI: I have a 1987 34V. I ordered this vent cover and plan on using it instead of plastic. I measured before I ordered and have since compared length with what is on there now and it appears to be a "perfect" fit. I have not installed yet... other priorities, but looking forward to doing so when I do new Fantastic Fans and seal the entire roof. Waiting for Razorback to report on his use of ReRubber roof coating. Been searching other products as well.
Proud owner of a 1987 34V, towed by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Extra cab. Some work to "make it my own", but up for the challenges!
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Glad to hear about that vent cover. I will be curious to see how it works out for you. I really like the idea of a nice shiny metal cover as opposed to the plastic (fiberglass?) one I got from VTS.

Late-breaking news from reRubber: I am getting 2 gallons each of the primer and the Cool Top Coat shipped this week. Long story short, I have been talking a LOT with Ken Winters.... he is such a great guy, and very interesting!
I know what I am paying for what I am getting (it is very reasonable and comparable to other products), but before I tell you a price, I still need to get a specific response from Ken about whether the price I am paying is “quotable”. I’ll be surprised if it is not “quotable”, but I want to make sure.

One encouraging point made (among others) by another knowledgeable user to Ken is that the adhesion of reRubber’s product is outstanding.

(I am going to add this same update to my post about reRubber.)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
quartzsitebruce

Post by quartzsitebruce »

Thanks for doing all the leg work on the reRubber product. Ken may realize the potential sales of the product. He is wise to be very cooperative and helpful.
Proud owner of a 1987 34V, towed by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Extra cab. Some work to "make it my own", but up for the challenges!
Salty

Post by Salty »

That link no longer works for the vent cover. y'all must have got the last ones.

Searching that site, I came up with nada.
I did find it here though:
http://inlandrv.com/product/part-84000/

Reason for edit: supply better info :-)
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
darren.miller

Post by darren.miller »

I pulled the first one out of a mold i made from the original.
Attachments
15709945386598764188352126195922.jpg
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Looks great. Nice job!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R