Re: Floor repair

Post by KYAvion »

Nice photo-documentary!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Sawmiller

Post by Sawmiller »

Nice technique! Learned something new today.
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Finally finished both front corners. Time to move aft. Well damn all, will ya look at that?
Who would have thought the soft floor at the door would be rotten? Fortunately the rot
does not extend under the bulkhead to the left.
Happy Easter all.
IMG_0294.JPG
IMG_0294.JPG (83.41 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Just think of how nice it will be and the sense of accomplishment you will have when this project is all finished! (Then what will you do with all of your spare time?) :lol:
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Hey Razorback when I finish this floor crap I'm going to spend my spare time enjoying a lot of singlemalt. Only after I set up in the campground 😁 though.
mtjarrett

Post by mtjarrett »

This is super helpful. One question: any thoughts on how to identify the leaks that caused this? I've got the same problem (passenger side front to the door). I'd love to not be redoing this same job in another few years.
1977 28' Travelcader
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

Just a quick thought on front floor curves and templates. During a fix to the front wall/window area I removed the upper cabinet from the fiberglass cap. As I was reassembling it all, I had laid the bottom of that unit on the floor and low and behold it’s the exact shape as the floor. So anyone that needs a a template for their floor fix could use the bottom of their front shelf. Which is what I’m planning to do. You might have to add the thickness of the wall to the template but that’s easy to do with just a compass. That’s my plan anyway. Once I start that I’ll let everyone know how it turns out.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

The challenge with the front corners is dealing with compound angles. The first one is the shape of the interior wall. The second is the shape that conforms to the skin where it wraps around toward the belly pan. Unless the downward shape is taken into consideration, the skin will buckle around the sharp edge of the plywood floor. The same issue is true at the rear corners as well.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P