Intro - T28 Reno and Appliances

Floor Repair, Inner Skins, Furnishings, Interior Finishes
Gary Potter

Intro - T28 Reno and Appliances

Post by Gary Potter »

This is likely going to be the first of many forum queries on renovation best practices. Not by me but by someone that knows what they're doing from many past experiences. So, first off, the set up.

It's a 68 T28 center twin. I'm told, the body is in superb shape, no leaks, no rot, no rust, etc. I get my first look this coming Wednesday. The bones are good - furniture frames are good, Kitchen is original. Plumbing is questionable and appliances are not in working order. So, lets start with appliances...

An electric/propane fridge is $$$$. Any reason for a total newbie to go that route? I'm of the belief that a small 110v fridge will do the job running on a 30amp hook-up or maybe a 4000W inverter? Aside from the expense, the electric/propane fridge is also a lot more complicated? Keep a propane heater or go with a ceramic tower heater? Could save some cabinet space not having to 'hide' the propane heater.

Mostly looking for guidance here for my initial face to face with my renovator.
Retirement is underrated
'Dewey' an '84 30P
Gary Potter
Razorback

Re: Intro - T28 Reno and Appliances

Post by Razorback »

I guess the decision to be made is: Do I anticipate EVER needing to keep a fridge cold when I have no electricity source? And, will I EVER need to make heat when there is no electricity source?

Based on those answers, proceed accordingly.

I can think of a couple of options for making heat without electricity... One involves a Wave 8 (or similar) heater, or even several options of wood stoves, if you want to go that route.

The best thing is, you get to make YOUR Avion the way YOU want it.

If you want to consider resale value, I would keep the original kinds of systems intact.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Gary Potter

Re: Intro - T28 Reno and Appliances

Post by Gary Potter »

Razorback wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:15 pm I guess the decision to be made is: Do I anticipate EVER needing to keep a fridge cold when I have no electricity source? And, will I EVER need to make heat when there is no electricity source?

Based on those answers, proceed accordingly.

I can think of a couple of options for making heat without electricity... One involves a Wave 8 (or similar) heater, or even several options of wood stoves, if you want to go that route.

The best thing is, you get to make YOUR Avion the way YOU want it.

If you want to consider resale value, I would keep the original kinds of systems intact.
The voice of reason. Thanks
Retirement is underrated
'Dewey' an '84 30P
Gary Potter