Ball Height and Size

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
Gary Potter

Ball Height and Size

Post by Gary Potter »

I think I read here the hitch ball is pretty much 2 5/16 for the Avion trailer? I'm looking at a 28-T. Also looking for hitch ball height. Think I saw 22in. Can someone with a 28-T help me with that? TIA
Retirement is underrated
'Dewey' an '84 30P
Gary Potter
silverloaf

Re: Ball Height and Size

Post by silverloaf »

Gary-

I suspect the 22" height your mentioned is only a guide. Trailers with sagging springs or full tanks could have some effect on ball height

I suggest putting the trailer on level ground . Then put a 4-ft level on the floor. Raise or lower the trailer a-frame until the bubble is centered. Measure the ball height at the top of the coupler.

Also, if you are not using a weight distribution hitch (not advisable), you might have to get a shorter receiver to compensate for tongue load on the tow vehicle (TV).

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Gary Potter

Post by Gary Potter »

silverloaf wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:03 am Gary-

I suspect the 22" height your mentioned is only a guide. Trailers with sagging springs or full tanks could have some effect on ball height

I suggest putting the trailer on level ground . Then put a 4-ft level on the floor. Raise or lower the trailer a-frame until the bubble is centered. Measure the ball height at the top of the coupler.

Also, if you are not using a weight distribution hitch (not advisable), you might have to get a shorter receiver to compensate for tongue load on the tow vehicle (TV).

Bob
Bob, thanks. I'll do it. 2 5/16 hitch ball?
Retirement is underrated
'Dewey' an '84 30P
Gary Potter
Sawmiller

Post by Sawmiller »

The manual for my 1968 t22 calls for a 20 inch ball height.
I am sure it varies a bit through the years and models.
RISK

Post by RISK »

What year is it?
My ‘78 28m is a 2 5/16” as is my 77 Airstream, but my ‘64 Silver Streak is 2”.

As for height, there are many variables. When I bought my Avion, I towed it 7 miles to the nearest camp ground on my standard 2” drop hitch (it was a dicey 7 miles as the wind was blowing in at 30+ mph) then spent about 2 hours dialing in the WD hitch that came with the trailer. When I left the next morning it was still windy but the wd made all the difference in the world.
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I've heard that a trailer should have a slight downward pitch toward the front. Is there any truth to that?
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I believe the goal should be level. However, a slight downward pitch would certainly be better than the opposite.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

You are right. The goal is level trailer and if not possible a slightly nose down trailer is preferred to a slightly nose up. Trailer being nose up pushes the center of gravity backwards, making the trailer more prone to sway.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5