Axles

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Tarnished

Axles

Post by Tarnished »

A little bad news. Discovered one of the axles on my 'new' 77 travelcader 26 is bent. Has anyone experience replacing these? I've got the MoreRyde suspension but would be interested in hearing from anyone who's actually replaced the axles. Having replaced the axles on my Argosy the job isn't intimidating.
And as we all know lyying on ones back working overhead is such a great joy.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Axles

Post by KYAvion »

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Similar to you, I replaced the axles on my prior Airstream, which was relatively easy. As far as your MorRyde suspension, what part of the system is bent?

I've haven't had to do any work on the MorRyde system on my 30R, but prior to purchasing the trailer I contacted MorRyde and they were extremely friendly and helpful when it came to questions I had about the suspension. I bet they could tell you exactly what you need.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Is it just part of the cross bar that runs across the underbelly of the trailer that is bent? Possibly from someone placing a jack along that section? If that's all it is, do the remainder of the components appear to be at the proper orientation? If so, I wonder whether it'd be much of a concern, if at all?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

There's a slight bend nearer the street side, not centered. I think you might be right about the jack. Currently thinking of taking it to the local (large) steel fabricated and seeing if they can straighten it out.
They've got the ability and expertise so will try that first. I'll talk to both them and MorRyde tomorrow.
Did you replace the axles yourself?
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I bet MorRyde will give you some good feedback, and I imagine that unless it's affecting the angle of the other components, that it's a non-issue. On my system the main components appear to be well fastened independent of that cross bar.

I did not install the MorRyde system on mine--it was installed by MorRyde by the original owner of my trailer. From what I've read about the system, the initial install sounds much more involved than the torsion axle install (e.g. Airstream or Argosy). That said, I don't think replacing any of the components would be that big of a deal since the initial leveling of the trailer and getting the proper install of the original system has already taken place.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

The pic with the jack does show where it is attached on that one side to the cross bar, but I think a dent in that cross bar would have to be pretty bad to affect the angle of that connection.

One thought would be to take a carpenter's square and look at the unaffected side of the axle near that bolted connection, and compare that to the side with the dent.
IMG_1373.JPG
IMG_1373.JPG (54.64 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
IMG_2281.JPG
IMG_2281.JPG (32.81 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Got underneath today with a 4' straight edge. There seems to be about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch
camber in the axles. The front axle measures (an off center bend) 1/4 to 3/8 inch greater
then the rear axle. Waiting for a call back from Chuck Cayo but hoping it's ok. When posting
my initial inquiry I didn't realize that the axles had a camber and thought the front one was
bent what measures 15/16 inch total.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

What does the tire wear look like?

By the way, in my experience, Chuck does not return phone calls. He is very helpful to Avion owners but has a business to run.

I find it's best to call him in the morning (EST). If his phone goes to VM, try later until he picks up.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P