Diamondbrite truck box polish vs Penetrol

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
KYAvion
Site Admin

Diamondbrite truck box polish vs Penetrol

Post by KYAvion »

Nralifer-- some time ago you posted about the aluminum truck box polish. I was just wondering if you've used it more, and how you like it for bringing the skin back to life compared to using Penetrol?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Re: Diamondbrite truck box polish vs Penetrol

Post by Razorback »

I definitely like the truck box polish best, but I haven't done any more with it..... yet.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Is it more like a wax? Put in on and then buff it off?

What is it you are liking more about it? Does it keep the aluminum looking better longer?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote:Is it more like a wax? Put in on and then buff it off?

What is it you are liking more about it? Does it keep the aluminum looking better longer?
The truck box polish seemed to actually remove at least some of the oxidation. As opposed to just glossing over it. Both worked very well, though in providing a pretty long-lasting beauty. If I have some time soon, I will do some more polishing and let you know my observations.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

So once the oxidation is removed with the diamondbrite, did you apply anything on top to give a wet or clearcoated look?

My trailer was clearcoated at some point and in most places it looks ok. In other areas you can tell where the clearcoat is thinning. I started to try the diamondbrite, but on the bottle I read that it "works great on any non-coated metal material." I may have to give it a try in a small spot anyway, but I was worried what it might do to the existing clearcoat.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote:So once the oxidation is removed with the diamondbrite, did you apply anything on top to give a wet or clearcoated look?

My trailer was clearcoated at some point and in most places it looks ok. In other areas you can tell where the clearcoat is thinning. I started to try the diamondbrite, but on the bottle I read that it "works great on any non-coated metal material." I may have to give it a try in a small spot anyway, but I was worried what it might do to the existing clearcoat.
I would be careful on your coated areas.... I bet the truck box polish would take that right off.

The truck box polish left a really smooth, clean-feeling surface.... I didn't add anything after that.

The IS one product I would like to try, but I will have to order some more because I don't have any on hand..... Klasse All-in One Cleaner/Protector... then maybe top it off with their Sealant Glaze. It is an acrylic-based product from Germany that I found when I was out in California back in 1984. I would be surprised if it didn't do a good job on the Avion.

http://www.autogeek.net/klasse.html
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Those Klasse products sound like they'd be worth a try. Twelve months would be great if it lasted that long.

Regarding the truck box polish, what's the difference between it and Bon Ami?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I had a few minutes tonight to get the Diamond Brite out and use it on the front left corner of the Avion. That reminded me how much I really like the stuff. It appears to take off the oxidation and leave a nicely polished surface. I only did the corner of the trailer..... I sure wish I had a couple of days and lots of energy to do the whole trailer!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W