Water Heater Not Clicking

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
AVian

Water Heater Not Clicking

Post by AVian »

I am having trouble with the water heater AGAIN. Unfortunately my problem this time is not caused by empty propane tanks. In the past when I go to turn on my water heater I will hear a series of clicking noises and the sound of the propane igniting. The light on the monitor panel with flash once then cut off. None of that is happening now. No clicks, no propane noise, light flashes and stays on. Propane should be getting to it because I have a full tank and all my other propane appliances are working as the should. I would appreciate your help.
Attachments
IMG_0153.jpeg
IMG_0155.jpeg
IMG_0154.jpeg
1987 34X
2004 4.8L V8 Silverado 1500
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Water Heater Not Clicking

Post by KYAvion »

My guess is the computer board or the Ignitor. I’m inclined to say the board since you don’t hear anything clicking. Make sure the terminals are all seated securely. I hate to just throw parts at stuff, but then again I tend to keep spare parts on hand since these things can occur at the most Inopportune times. If you get a board and that’s not the issue, then you’d at least have a spare.

Also check the fuses to make sure they are OK. It’s never a bad idea to keep spares of these on hand as well.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
AVian

Post by AVian »

I took the burner apart and cleaned it and adjusted the igniter and got it clicking but still no propane getting to the unit. Full tank and new regulator just installed. Maybe I need to adjust something on the regulator so the WH is getting the right amount of LP to it?
1987 34X
2004 4.8L V8 Silverado 1500
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

What did you do to get it “clicking” again?

Make sure the igniter is clean. Try holding a long lighter so the flame is inside the burner tube up near the igniter when it’s clicking (although I believe the clicking sound is probably coming from the board where the igniter connects). I bet the burner lights as long as you hold the flame on the thermocouple. If so, I suppose it could be the igniter needs replaced, but make sure the side that connects to the board is seated properly. Even if you get the burner to light by the method I described, I still think the issue is most likely the board.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

If you get it lit, then let the water heat up as normal. Then, open a faucet and see what happens. I’m thinking the issue will occur again
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Check your soft copper lines for any kinks.
'89 Travelcade 28A