Cast Iron Cooking

Kitchen tips and recipes
Razorback

Cast Iron Cooking

Post by Razorback »

Does anyone besides me like to cook using cast iron skillets, dutch ovens, griddles, etc?

I learned how to clean up cast iron cookware to make it look like new. What started my obsession was when my mom gave me her Wagner dutch oven (mom is almost 92, and it belonged to her mother.... dated to somewhere in the 1920's-1930's). It was pretty crusty. I remember Mom making many roast dinners in it. I also have several 10" skillets (also Wagner, and BSR), a 14'" skillet (Wagner), and a generic round 8" griddle. Oh, and I have another nice "chicken fryer", it is a hammered piece with a hammered lid... I really like it.
I use the skillets almost daily, and the dutch oven regularly to bake a nice chuck roast/onions/carrots/potatoes dinner.
Once I learned how to use and care for cast iron, it's a piece of cake!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Razorback

Re: Cast Iron Cooking

Post by Razorback »

If anyone is interested: in my search for a cast iron waffle iron, I ran across a relatively new company that is making NEW cast iron skillets and waffle irons! It is the Appalachian Cast Iron Co., https://www.appalachiancastiron.com/
I have a waffle iron in transit.... should get here Saturday, according to the tracking information.

I have been really impressed with Tony Hester, whose dream is Appalachian Cast Iron Co., and I am REALLY looking forward to receiving and using the waffle iron.

https://www.appalachiancastiron.com/pro ... affle-iron
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

The waffle iron did arrive! Very impressed with the craftsmanship! I am looking forward to using it.
From the label that was on the package, it is obvious that Tony has a sense of humor!
71911357418__ABBD9B1E-C95F-4C86-B086-1A42ED6222E4.jpg
IMG_4445.jpg
IMG_4446.jpg
IMG_4447.jpg
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Nice piece of equipment. Haven't had a waffle in a long time. That first one is gonna be expensive :lol:

There was a guy on youtube selling hatchets made out of old railroad iron. Must be something nostalgic. Puts the date of the iron on the hatchet and does a pretty good job. Cost is something like $500.
'89 Travelcade 28A
Brooks88

Post by Brooks88 »

That waffle maker looks fantastic! It's been ages since I indulged in a crispy, golden waffle. And those railroad iron hatchets sound like a unique find, blending nostalgia with craftsmanship, although the price tag might make the first bite of waffle seem like a bargain !