MaxxAir Deluxe Vent Fan Installation

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Becky B.

MaxxAir Deluxe Vent Fan Installation

Post by Becky B. »

My vents were pretty trashed from all the sealer slopped all over them. I have Fantastic Vents in my other trailer, but have heard good things about the MaxxAir Deluxe Vent Fans. They fold down close to the roof when not in use. When open, if you leave & forget to close them, the rain doesn't come in. To begin with, the old vents had to come out. First the interior face needs to be removed & the electric wires disconnected. There are rivets around the outside perimeter that need to be drilled out. Then the base & fan can be pried out. The original sealer on mine was still supple & needed some prying! Once the old vent is out, the hole that is left behind needs to be squared off to 14". I tried using a tin snips, but my multi-tool was a lot easier for me. After squaring it off both inside & outside, I cleaned off all the old sealer & resealed the seams on the two vents that ran along it. I put eternabond on the seam after sealing it with Tempro 635 & the rivets sealed with Captain Tolleys. I dry-fitted the new bases & after being satisfied with the fit, took them out & put butyl tape (plumbers putty) under the lip of the base. Then I drilled out the 4 corners & installed the stainless screws. The rest of the screws were then installed (pre-drill them). Once the base was in, I sealed the edges with Tempro 635 as well as the screw tops & put Eternabond over the perimeter of the base. The tops were then wired & slide right in the bases & attached with 4 screws. My hubby helped me put the rear screws in because the top needs some pressure to squeeze the gasket & see the screw hole. I put two remote control units in (one in front, one in the rear) and one exhaust only in the bathroom. They are incredibly quiet & I like the way the look :D
Becky B.

Re: MaxxAir Deluxe Vent Fan Installation

Post by Becky B. »

con't
IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0479.JPG
for whatever reason, the pics turned....but if you click on them they're straight. Well, you get the idea!
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Thanks for the write-up and the review of the new fans, Becky. Good pictures, good narrative! With that kind of information, just about anyone will feel comfortable tackling a job like that.

Our 34W had a Fantastic Fan up front, but still has a couple of those original vents: one in the rear bedroom, another in the bath. My to-do-someday list includes doing what you just did.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Anyone knows whether MaxxAir makes similar fans fitting the 18" X 18" opening of the pre-1982 Avions? Thanks!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

I think I found my answer on Facebook forum. Cayo sells inserts that go into the 18" X 18" opening and allow a 14" X 14" fan to be installed.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Rostam wrote:I think I found my answer on Facebook forum. Cayo sells inserts that go into the 18" X 18" opening and allow a 14" X 14" fan to be installed.
Good to know!

If/when you do this project, please document it in a new thread so we'll have the information to consult. Prices are always good to know.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Sure, will do!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
JanetSanCarlos

Post by JanetSanCarlos »

I have been gone for a while, but am now ready to start working on my Avion again. It seems to me, that if I am going to clean, seal and tape all the roof seams, I should replace the fans and the A/C unit at the same time. So I searched all the posts and found this string asking about the Cayo made inserts for 18 inch openings.

Rostam - Did you ever order and install these? I didn't find another post (could have missed it!). I am curious as to the cost and what they look like outside and inside.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Janet in San Carlos, MX
1978 Avion 34V
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

I have not replace the original fans with 18" fans yet -- It lower on my priority list. I will eventually get to it :)

I've seen photos of adding an insert to make the fan cavity compatible with 18" fans. I thought I had bookmarked it, but unfortunately could not find it.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
JanetSanCarlos

Post by JanetSanCarlos »

Okay. Thanks. I'm guessing I can have something made down here in Mexico. I will talk to my body shop guy.
Janet in San Carlos, MX
1978 Avion 34V