Kool Seal

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
KYAvion
Site Admin

Kool Seal

Post by KYAvion »

I was on top of my new Avion this evening and learned the entire roof is covered in a rubbery yet dense coating. I'm not sure since I've never used it before, but I'm wondering if it's Kool Seal. To remove the coating would be arduous since the entire roof is covered, so I plan to just touch it up where needed. Has anyone used Kool Seal or another product they'd recommend?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Re: Kool Seal

Post by Razorback »

I have not used Kool Seal myself. Not sure what it was that I cleaned off of the roof seams of our Avion. Some kind of brushed-on goop.

I have some samples of of roof sealer that I received recently from reRubber in California. They sent me a container of grey primer and a container of white topcoat. The data sheets that I read are pretty clear that either one will seal well, but the white topcoat will obviously provide the best heat reduction.

I'm hoping to test this stuff sometime this weekend.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Avionstream

Post by Avionstream »

If it's not leaking I would leave it alone.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

That's the problem--a few leaks. I went ahead and ordered some Eternabond and a gallon of Koolseal, so we'll see how it goes.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Nole75

Post by Nole75 »

I just Kool sealed my roof last month. Mine was in an effort to cool down the interior.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I just finished the second coat today. It actually went on better than I thought and seems to cover well. Time will tell.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
karenmccraw

Post by karenmccraw »

Do you apply the Kool Seal over the EternaBond tape?

I am going to seal all my seams with 4" EternaBond. I then want to cover the top completely with a white Kool Seal type product. Just wondering if I should paint the entire surface of the roof, including the EternaBond tape?
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Yep, I cleaned the surface well and then applied eternabond over the main roof seam (I removed the A/C as well to access the main seam). I then applied Koolseal on top of the eternabond and the rest of the roof. It worked really well and no leaks thus far.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
FrancescaS

Post by FrancescaS »

Hi I have been working on my roof too. I am actually removing the KoolSeal from my roof. I have multiple layers on my roof. Some of the coating is from the original silver coating that was put on by factory, at least I think it is. Then I have some tarlike substance and finally the KoolSeal. The layers are not everywhere, so I have some here and there and sometimes all three in one area. Problem also is that the KoolSeal is also getting black and nasty and since I had some leaks I wanted to clean it all off and seal the seams with Eternabond as recommended. I do think the majority of leaks were coming from the refrigerator service door, main door and also the old AC, which I removed earlier because it was not working.
Initially I started with a heat gun and got no where fast! The KoolSeal is heat resistant and I found myself scraping off little ribbons at a time and I abandoned the roof for awhile realizing that I was not really getting anywhere. Then I came across a post on FB where the person used Aircraft Stripper and I was elated. This time I was actually getting some stuff off the roof. Most of it is scraping off and I am using some Denatured Alcohol and Mineral Spirits to clean up, only because it was what I had on hand. I am noticing that the original silver coating is not coming off, so I may need to use the heat gun on this. And maybe it would also be resistant to it, but worst case scenario, it stays on there and the seams alone get sealed. Fortunately it is mainly in the middle of the roof and not near the seams.
I also bought some aluminum vents to replace the very tired and worn plastic vents.
I will post pictures when I am finished. On a newer computer and I have to figure out how to edit pictures on here.
I did have a question though.... how far down the front and back seams do you put the Eternabond tape? Do you just put is as far as you cannot see it from the ground or does it matter?

Thanks
FrancescaS
1969 Avion Argonaut
No Tow Vehicle Yet
Tampa, FL
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

On the front an rear of our 1987 34W, I ran the tape all the way down to the top of the windows. I like the idea of it being seal well, but aesthetically, it'll look best if you top at the top where you can't see it, then use ParBond to seal the visible seams.

Adding a picture of the front of the trailer.... you can see how the EternaBond tape looks:
IMG_1383.JPG
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???