Kool Seal

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
FrancescaS

Re: Kool Seal

Post by FrancescaS »

Just checking this post since I am still working on my roof, seems like forever..... I actually think, Nralifer, that the Eternabond all the way to the windows looks good, from your picture that is. It blends in well with the skin and almost looks like it belongs there.
I did buy 4" Eternabond in grey, so it will cover three rivets in places because it is so wide, but I am also trying to decide how far down I need to go with the tape. Mine is a '69 so the look is completely different from yours, however the grey color should blend in pretty well too. I will have to do a test run with painters tape or something to see how far down to go.
I broke down and started using a stripper on my roof because I was having no joy with the heat gun. So far I am getting a lot done, however, the initial coating that the Avion Manufacturing Plant put on the trailer is not budging, at least I think it is the original layer. Do you have any idea what it is made of and what can get it off? I wanted to clear entire surface, Eternabond the seams and then I wanted to paint a rectangular area in the center between the taped areas. Some kind of spray paint that would last and last and leave a smooth surface that would be easy to clean and also maybe seal hair line spaces in additional rivets. This last layer that is not budging is throwing a wrench in the works....
FrancescaS
1969 Avion Argonaut
No Tow Vehicle Yet
Tampa, FL
Razorback

Re: Kool Seal

Post by Razorback »

The best thing I have found to scrape off just about anything is a safety razor blade. You don't want to scrape down into the aluminum, but just scrape over the surface. Along with some mineral spirits, just about anything will come off.

One of my favorite things about the pre-70's Avions is the 13-panel end caps. Aesthetically, if I had one of those models, I would invest the time and effort into cleaning up those seams and sealing them with ParBond rather than covering them with the tape. That's just me, but I LOVE the look of those end seams.

Keep us posted of your progress.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???