1987 34W - Rock Guard Painted

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Razorback

1987 34W - Rock Guard Painted

Post by Razorback »

While I was outside a few evenings ago I got to looking at the rock guard on our 1987 34W. A previous owner had replaced it, so we have a ribbed guard that is in really nice shape, except for it's faded appearance.

In the past, I have used Flood's Penetrol and a LOT of elbow grease to make the guard look nice again, but it hasn't been a long-term fix. I like it to look nice, so I started thinking of alternatives that I might have on hand.

I had a quart can of Krylon high-temp stove/BBQ paint on the shelf that I used on our pedestal wood stove a few years ago. I have tried to find the same paint on the web (this one cleans up with xylene), but all I've found is their "Special Purpose" High Heat Paint.

Anyway, in less than 30 minutes, I had the rock guard looking really nice. Now we wait and see how it does over time.
Attachments
small_IMG_1383.JPG
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: 1987 34W - Rock Guard Painted

Post by KYAvion »

Your rockguard looks great. The penetrol you use on the skin looks great too. I modified the attachment settings so that thumbnails are displayed in the thread instead of the full image, which appears to help with viewing when using a smartphone. Let me know if there's any drawbacks I'm missing.

I noticed in your pic some minor dings in the upper right corner panel. I've got some just like that and can't see how rocks are bouncing up that high, but I assume that's the cause?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote:Your rockguard looks great. The penetrol you use on the skin looks great too. I modified the attachment settings so that thumbnails are displayed in the thread instead of the full image, which appears to help with viewing when using a smartphone. Let me know if there's any drawbacks I'm missing.

I noticed in your pic some minor dings in the upper right corner panel. I've got some just like that and can't see how rocks are bouncing up that high, but I assume that's the cause?
Thank you for modifying that picture.

Another thing I did to the front corner skin (right front in the picture) was to try a dab of http://www.lowes.com/pd/Better-Built-8- ... sh/3035639 using an orbital polisher. It originally had some of the worst oxidation that I have on our trailer. It took about 10 seconds to make it look really good. I can't tell if it actually removed it, or maybe just hid it well? I'll have to look really close. But I used that stuff on the propane tanks as well. Shined those right up! I really like that truck box polish. Whatever is in it seems to work very well on the aluminum.

As for the ding(s), I have no idea what made them. They were there when I got the trailer. So far, I haven't added any!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

That polish looks great. Have you tried Bon Ami as well?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote:That polish looks great. Have you tried Bon Ami as well?
I have used Bon Ami and was pleased with the results. But this truck box polish seems to be good, and with the orbital polisher, is very easy to use.

I am going to try another area with the truck box polish: just above the lower corner I already did... above the beltline. Another place that I hope can look better.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

IMG_1917.JPG
IMG_1917.JPG (34.36 KiB) Viewed 19557 times
It hasn't been a year yet, but the rock guard is still looking very nice. I really like the results of the Krylon high-temp paint that I used on it. Here is a recent picture that shows the rock guard:
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Looks great. Are you still using that truck box polish? Any before and after pics!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote:Looks great. Are you still using that truck box polish? Any before and after pics!
I have not done any more polishing, but when I do, that is what I am going to use. I thought it did a tremendous job. On the LP tanks, it took the oxidation off easily, making the rag I was using almost totally black! On the skin of the trailer, it removed the oxidation and did a good job of keeping it looking good. In that picture I posted, that front corner of the trailer is an area that I can definitely remember doing. Still looks good!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I was reading about some polishes containing an acid, which is bad for aluminum. I guess this one is ok?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Well, it is made for aluminum, so I can't imagine it being harmful to it.

Here is the MSDS for it that I found. Not sure what the Proprietary Compound 1 and 2 are :
Attachments
DIAMOND BRITE MSDS 3-27-13.pdf
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 68 times
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W