1989 34XB Main Awning (about 21')

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
ericlarson

1989 34XB Main Awning (about 21')

Post by ericlarson »

My recent purchase of 1989 34XB understood that I'd need to do some fixing. I discovered that the main awning fabric was in bad shape. I ordered new SunWave Awning Fabric (SKU:62420 ASIN: B00D393944 Item ID: 27153984401666.) I had some experience replacing a 16' awning fabric on my previous 1995 Terry 22H. I knew that installing the fabric would be more than my buddy and I could do ourselves. I found a local RV repair guy that said he'd install it for $200. That sounded like a great deal. NOPE! You get what you pay for. In the end the install was poor. Though the fabric was in place and undamaged the fabric was not in the correct roller channel, the torsion springs were not wound enough to retract the whole awning and the caps on the roller ends were not placed properly which prevented any access to any of the unused channels. On the next camping trip I discovered all these problems and also experienced the torsion spring exploding/breaking inside the roller. I ended up ordering new torsion springs on the internet. When you order torsion springs for a longer awning you have a choice between standard and heavy duty. I ordered two heavy duty Torsion Springs. (Dometic 3108398.029 Right Hand and Dometic 3108398.011 Left Hand.) With help from my buddy we easily installed the new heavy duty torsion springs in the awning. Note: This was done with a couple of ladders a wrench and some new VICE GRIPS pop rivet tool & rivets and a drill to drill out the old rivets. Check the internet to download the instructions if you are doing this yourself. YouTube videos are also super valuable. The downloaded PDF instructions should include the number of turns on the torsion springs to get the proper tension. With my new H.D. springs we did 8 turns and this was perfect. Your situation might be different so read instructions and make sure. At my buddy's urging we also were able to slide the aluminum cover that attached the awning aft a bit so now when the awning is retracted it aligns perfectly with the side supports and 1 person can operate this like new. I do have one problem with the new awning. Note: if you have a larger/longer awning know exactly what the detentions are for the fabric you are replacing. I foolishly figured all fabric was a standard size. I did not account for the added distance that the aluminum cover extends from the top of the coach. Now all the rafter arms are too short when the awning is fully extended and the center support leg is too short to offer any support when the awning is extended. Anyone know where I can pick up about 7 feet of 15/16" X 15/16" aluminum square tubing?
Tarnished

Re: 1989 34XB Main Awning (about 21')

Post by Tarnished »

For your sq tubing try a metal working shop. There is one near me and they get everything I need and don't overcharge.
RISK

Re: 1989 34XB Main Awning (about 21')

Post by RISK »

Metal Mart? I’ve gotten some odd stuff through them and there is an outlet near me so I can get long stuff without crazy shipping. Just a thought...

Also use my local metal fab shop, they have such random offcuts they are mostly willing to give me. Great for small scraps of anodized for patches or what not.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)