Front wall to floor seperation

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Tom

Front wall to floor seperation

Post by Tom »

On our '61 T20....I noticed separation on front exposed outside frame to wall. I had already completed extensive floor replacement in trailer. I installed at that time, some L brackets on the inside floor to inside wall due to my concern about what looked to me like a Roob Goldberg engineering job/design. A couple years later noticed on the outside that my caulking between the front lower rail and the frame kept opening up. I thought at first I was using the wrong caulking. Finally did my own thing and used stainless bolts from the outside and installed an aluminum angle inside behind the front water tank on the lower wall. The bolts for the wall angle were penetrated through the wall skins and wall studs. Ran another angle across the bottom of the frame. Then penetrated the floor with long bolts holding the two angle pieces and thus the floor and wall secured to the frame. Caulking no longer separates.
Need to remind all that additionally, that front and rear outside bottom of wall rail is a critical joint that must be maintained with appropriate caulking. That as well as the mentioned front wall/rail to outside frame. This is a critical leak to rot floor location. Maybe weird but works for this old retired Engineer.... Tom '61T20
silverloaf

Re: Front wall to floor seperation

Post by silverloaf »

Tom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:51 pm On our '61 T20....I noticed separation on front exposed outside frame to wall. I had already completed extensive floor replacement in trailer. I installed at that time, some L brackets on the inside floor to inside wall due to my concern about what looked to me like a Roob Goldberg engineering job/design. A couple years later noticed on the outside that my caulking between the front lower rail and the frame kept opening up. I thought at first I was using the wrong caulking. Finally did my own thing and used stainless bolts from the outside and installed an aluminum angle inside behind the front water tank on the lower wall. The bolts for the wall angle were penetrated through the wall skins and wall studs. Ran another angle across the bottom of the frame. Then penetrated the floor with long bolts holding the two angle pieces and thus the floor and wall secured to the frame. Caulking no longer separates.
Need to remind all that additionally, that front and rear outside bottom of wall rail is a critical joint that must be maintained with appropriate caulking. That as well as the mentioned front wall/rail to outside frame. This is a critical leak to rot floor location. Maybe weird but works for this old retired Engineer.... Tom '61T20
Caulk does funny things when exposed to torque and twist under motion, Unless the joint is secure (like you ultimately did), applying copious amounts of caulk to make up for questionable engineering is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Bob
Old retired engineer
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Tom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:51 pm Need to remind all that additionally, that front and rear outside bottom of wall rail is a critical joint that must be maintained with appropriate caulking. That as well as the mentioned front wall/rail to outside frame. This is a critical leak to rot floor location. Maybe weird but works for this old retired Engineer.... Tom '61T20

Sounds like you did a great job. Do you happen to have pics of your exterior thru bolts and interior angle that you could post as well? Also, above you mentioned two critical areas that need caulking. I believe you are talking about the lower rail area with the colored insert, but you mentioned a second area too? I'm having a hard time visualizing.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Tom

Post by Tom »

Sorry,,, buttoned up. with inside water tank buried behind the dinette and the fix behind the tank.
Later on when I figure out ,have taken pictures and how to post, I'll get back. Tom '61T20
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

No worries. Maybe a pic of those two outer areas where you emphasized the caulking. I understand where one is, but for some reason can't picture the other.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R