Leaks!

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
silverloaf

Re: Leaks!

Post by silverloaf »

KYAvion wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:49 pm Are we talking about the rubber piece that covers the screw heads for the window? If so, I believe it is cosmetic, but I'm not positive. Nralifer--can you answer this definitively?

As far as that awning bracket, is it currently riveted in three places? I'll have to look at mine next time.
Mine was secured to the trailer with 3 sheet metal screws. All are concentrated in the upper half of the bracket. Gauging by the amount of silicone encapsulating bracket, this area has been problematic for some time.

My goal for the additional screw is to extend the clamping load to the bottom half of the bracket. This should prevent the bar from working against the other screws alone.

Zip Dee and I seem to be on the same page for this approach.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I made the modification to the front awning bracket and the rafter arm bar today. I installed it and it is snug against the skin.

Time will tell whether it was worth my time and labor. The repair is directionally correct for strengthening the joint. I can live with that.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

How did you modify the rafter arm bar? Any pics?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Post by RISK »

Kind of off but back on topic here...

We had a boatload of rain a few weeks ago right after I took the trailer out and then returned it to a slightly different spot on my property. This ended with the tongue slightly down (not sure why, other than it was late when I got back). I had a leak in the curbside ceiling seam all of a sudden. After wiping everything down and shoving a bit of paper towel in the seem to act as a wick to drip into a pot, I sat to thinking... where could that be coming from? Answer, it had to be the AC unit. I figure that the backside of the unit wasn't sealed properly, so I rechecked level, (when I discovered tongue down) released the stablilizers and raised it slightly tongue up. Leak gone.

I figure it must be the AC seal, though I loathe to get into that mess. But it got me thinking about how freeking loud that unit is... I've always wanted a lower profile unit that was hopefully quieter... but then I start thinking about mini-splits... those are super quiet... where would I put the condenser? My tongue is already 800+ lbs, can't go there... but those batteries are heavy, can those go somewhere else? And do I really need two x 30lbs propane tanks? hmmm...

Yeah, leaks.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

KYAvion wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 pm How did you modify the rafter arm bar? Any pics?
Sorry, no pics. I was fighting time, darkness and weather.

I put the bar in a vise. I cut a 45 degree chamfer on the inside corner with a hacksaw, then filed it smooth. There was still plenty of material thickness remaining when finished.

It's helpful to have the bracket available to check swivel clearance to the screw. I had about 3/32" clearance to the screw head at its closest point.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P