Bumper storage fail...

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
RISK

Bumper storage fail...

Post by RISK »

Alright, so on the the way to the Coke shoot my trailer was in, my bumper "stinky slinky" storage partially failed. The 4 rivets that held it up on the inside of the frame sheared and the the only thing that did keep it from bouncing down the highway were the rivets underneath going through the bellypan into the rear most crossmember of the frame.

Upon removing the storage box, I discovered that it is a one piece formed box that looks like a water trap down there or at least an intrusion point to the bellypan. That said, I don't see any excessive rust but the design begs to be improved. Anyone deal with late '70's rear bumper boxes? I plan to reform it and add a bunch of seep/weep holes but wanted to see if anyone has been down this path...
Attachments
IMG_1663.jpg
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
silverloaf

Re: Bumper storage fail...

Post by silverloaf »

Our 1988 30P came equipped with a hinged aluminum box sandwiched between the bumper and the rear cross member.

It's pretty flimsy; it fell apart when I removed it. It does not drain well and traps debris on the bottom; rather unsavory and unsanitary.

I did have some rust-out on the bottom flange of the rear cross member. I think it was due to water running down the outside wall and being trapped between the flange and the belly pan.

I'm thinking about leaving the box off. I have room under the belly pan at the rear to install several 3-4" PVC pipes. Maybe I'll dedicate one for the dump hose.

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

While the bumper design isn't optimal, it sure beats the design of my prior 79 Airstream. The bellypan ran all the way back under the bumper, which allowed for a ton of rain water to run into the belly and soak the fiberglass insulation.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

KYAvion wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:01 am While the bumper design isn't optimal, it sure beats the design of my prior 79 Airstream. The bellypan ran all the way back under the bumper, which allowed for a ton of rain water to run into the belly and soak the fiberglass insulation.
It appears the Airstream design had all the earmarks of planned obsolescence.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
RISK

Post by RISK »

silverloaf wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:07 am
KYAvion wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:01 am While the bumper design isn't optimal, it sure beats the design of my prior 79 Airstream. The bellypan ran all the way back under the bumper, which allowed for a ton of rain water to run into the belly and soak the fiberglass insulation.
It appears the Airstream design had all the earmarks of planned obsolescence.
Yeah, my '77 Airstream is a mess when it come to water intrusion. Although, it's raining and as I sit here in my Avion working, it seems I've developed a leak. Post on that later...

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)