Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
This was easier than I thought it would be. My original vent stopped cranking on one side. The worm gear was stripped out. It would siphon open going down the road. Did a little homework and decided to replace it with the basic Maxxair roof vent. I was concerned about the size of the roof opening as it looked too small. The original vent has very rounded corners and the Maxxair takes a 14" square opening. Scraped off three different types of old putty/silicone. The easiest way to do this turned out to be with a very sharp knife, cutting away the putty from the roof a little at a time. Found the original markings used to cut the hole in the roof. Removed the screws holding the vent in place and lifted it out after disconnecting the electric wires. (Found the trailer had four leads connecting it to ? and the alarm on the floor by the door.) It was marked 14" square. All I had to do was trim the hole square with aviation snips and drop the new unit in. Cut the trim to fit, hook up the wires and install inside trim. Done. The new fan is much much quieter, has 10 reversible speed and an auto cut off when the inside of the trailer reaches a desired temperature. And I can run it in the rain. Very happy. Cost -about $200 on Amazon from someone.
Sounds like a good upgrade. I'm not too happy with the Fantastic Fan with rain sensor in mine. Seems like with the slightest bit of moisture it wants to close. At some point I plan to remove the rain sensor or switch it out to a MaxxAir.
1984 Avion 30R
1984 Avion 30R
I replaced 3 older ventilators with Maxxair 4500K units over the weekend . Two were Fantastic; the middle one was OEM like Roger's. The install went well.KYAvion wrote:Sounds like a good upgrade. I'm not too happy with the Fantastic Fan with rain sensor in mine. Seems like with the slightest bit of moisture it wants to close. At some point I plan to remove the rain sensor or switch it out to a MaxxAir.
But I took it one step further and picture-framed each fan's opening with seam tape. Some of the openings were peckered with holes from previous installs. I slit the tape to the width of the new fan's flange. It smoothed out the rough surface and sealed the old holes.
http://highbondtapes.com/industrial-hb- ... 412N-3inch
I then followed with a layer of butyl tape, doubling it in places where the roof surface had "oil-canned". After screwing the flange down, Dicor non-sagging caulk completed the install.
https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-Non-Leveli ... B004RCSR1G
One nice but subtle feature on the Maxxair fans is removing the bug screen. There are 4 spring-loaded barrel clips securing the screen. A simple 1/2-turn of the clips and the screen is removed. My old Fantastics had 6-8 loose screws to remove. The screens were filthy with bug carcasses when we bought the trailer; now I know why.