rear hatch gasket

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
silverloaf

Re: rear hatch gasket

Post by silverloaf »

RISK wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:46 pm Great info, thanks for adding.

I have a question related to this topic that I've been meaning to pose:

My top corners of the rear hatch bow out for lack of a better term, anyone else have this issue?
Doesn't seem to be too much of an issue but kind of wanted to alleviate it. Took the extruded C channel off the top and discovered the exterior aluminum and interior skin (zolatone?) are glued to the plywood core. So short of rebuilding the entire door, I'm looking for some ideas.

Best I have is run an aluminum angle or square tube across the inside top with carriage bolts to try and get the "ears" back flat. Another more complicated and cumbersome thought is to add latches to the corners...

Thoughts?

Ordering some gasket, thanks again...

Ian
I'm not sure your door is like mine. But I ultimately replaced the plywood core. It had swollen, distorted and rotted. The screws holding the hinge had failed, causing the hinge to buckle and jam the door.

Peeling way the aluminum skins was pretty quick. The glue had pretty much dried out.I started at the corners, worked toward the middle and pried it apart with a putty knife. It got easier as the skins separated. Running some hot water between the layer might help as well.

Right now, a piece of foam board fills the door opening. I'll re-post on how the door installation goes.

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P