rear hatch gasket

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Rostam

rear hatch gasket

Post by Rostam »

Has anyone replaced the rear hatch or side storage compartment gaskets? Where did you order them from? I checked Advanced Auto Parts and Tractor Supply with no success today.
Thanks!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
silverloaf

Re: rear hatch gasket

Post by silverloaf »

Rostam wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:07 pm Has anyone replaced the rear hatch or side storage compartment gaskets? Where did you order them from? I checked Advanced Auto Parts and Tractor Supply with no success today.
Thanks!
Did you find a gasket? If not, I just received a 50ft roll of correct size material. Want the contact info?

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Hi,
No I did not have any luck finding the gasket. Please share the contact info.
Thanks a lot!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Rostam wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:18 pm Hi,
No I did not have any luck finding the gasket. Please share the contact info.
Thanks a lot!
Here's what I ordered through Amazon (I couldn't copy/paste the web page):
AP Products 018-224 Black 1/2" x 3/8" Rubber D-Seal with Tape; 50ft roll; $30.98 Prime

I measured the old gaskets. This is about as close as it comes. I did storage compartment seam yesterday. It sealed well considering the gaps between the door and frame are not consistent. The margins might get better once I get the door and frame assembly re-installed.

One tip: I made every effort to get the aluminum seam rail chemically clean before installing the new gasket. I used lacquer thinner and a scraper to clean the old gasket and adhesive. A small wire brush on a drill motor might useful as well.

Bob

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Thank you so much! Very helpful. Just placed the order on Amazon. Adding the Amazon link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Products-018-224 ... B007EXOYZ8
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

One more question: can the gasket be used for the entrance door? Thx!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
RISK

Post by RISK »

Great info, thanks for adding.

I have a question related to this topic that I've been meaning to pose:

My top corners of the rear hatch bow out for lack of a better term, anyone else have this issue?
Doesn't seem to be too much of an issue but kind of wanted to alleviate it. Took the extruded C channel off the top and discovered the exterior aluminum and interior skin (zolatone?) are glued to the plywood core. So short of rebuilding the entire door, I'm looking for some ideas.

Best I have is run an aluminum angle or square tube across the inside top with carriage bolts to try and get the "ears" back flat. Another more complicated and cumbersome thought is to add latches to the corners...

Thoughts?

Ordering some gasket, thanks again...

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Rostam wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:20 pm One more question: can the gasket be used for the entrance door? Thx!
I examined the entry door and gasket on our '88 30P. The aluminum sealing rail is 1/2" wide. The gasket is 3/8" in depth. However, the gasket is 1/4" wider than the rail and extends into the door opening. The gasket is also hollow; the gasket above is foam filled.

In other words, the gasket for the storage compartment doors is probably too narrow and does not have the compliance for the entry door.

Bob

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

silverloaf wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:20 pm
Rostam wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:20 pm One more question: can the gasket be used for the entrance door? Thx!
I examined the entry door and gasket on our '88 30P. The aluminum sealing rail is 1/2" wide. The gasket is 3/8" in depth. However, the gasket is 1/4" wider than the rail and extends into the door opening. The gasket is also hollow; the gasket above is foam filled.

The gasket for the storage compartment doors is probably too narrow and does not have the compliance for the entry door. Your door, however, might be different.

Bob

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Thanks for the info! If at some point you found a gasket suitable for the entry door, please post in here.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5