LED running lights

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Nole75

LED running lights

Post by Nole75 »

I hooked my 1978 Model M 28.5 to check my lights Friday. The running lights were terrible! I opened several of them up and drained the water out of them. The bulbs were covered with a rust colored gunk. At some point the lights had been replaced and sealed so that water could get in, but not out. I have now decided to replace all the running lights, fore and aft. Our local rv sales/parts place has the led lights at a good price, actually cheaper than the Wal-Mart.
If anyone has done this I'd love to hear from you, I'd actually like to avoid the mistakes that are bound to happen. I plan on covering the holes that are not needed, using a rivet to attach the new light and sealing the wire where it goes into the roof. I'm not planning on sealing the entire light as they look as if they are designed to let water run under them. ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE HELPFUL, or if someone can stop by Pensacola I'll be glad to watch how its done, THANKS

GO NOLES------ROLL TRIBE ROLL
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: LED running lights

Post by KYAvion »

Check out this thread...
topic234.html
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
NO CONTROL

Post by NO CONTROL »

My goal is to use the old lens and switch to LED technology. (Nole 97 :)
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

We also have a 1978. I bought these LED running lights from Walmart (about $3 each). I removed the old lights (were in horrible shape), cleaned up the area, and installed the new ones. I used parbond to seal the top/right/left border of the lights, leaving the bottom to drain any water that gets in. Here is a photo of the front of the trailer. The rear has red running lights.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Rostam,

About 6 weeks ago, I contemplated converting all exterior lighting from incandescent to LED. One of my stop/brake bulbs was burned out anyway.

I talked to a tech person at superbrightled.com. He said that using LED bulbs in vehicles not equipped to handle them can cause vehicle lights to operate erratically.

Here is an article from the website that describes the condition.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/blog/ca ... bulbs/293/

I decided to stick with incandescent bulbs for the reasons listed. The lumen output is also higher than LEDs

Bob.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Hi Silverloaf,

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. I need to research this a bit more, but it does not seem that the Walmart running lights are CAN bus type (Need to verify this. I'll email the manufacturer). I have not had any issues so far.

I'll update this thread when I have more info.

Best,
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5