Rock guard

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Tarnished

Re: Rock guard

Post by Tarnished »

The Avions haven't nearly as much curve. Are the forward windows all the same? Making more then one would require making a mold first. Once the mold is made laminating would be pretty straightforward. Of course they wouldn't look like the originals. I've made inquiries about replacing broken windows , it's extremely difficult.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Tarnished wrote:The Avions haven't nearly as much curve. Are the forward windows all the same? Making more then one would require making a mold first. Once the mold is made laminating would be pretty straightforward. Of course they wouldn't look like the originals. I've made inquiries about replacing broken windows , it's extremely difficult.
I would have to ask someone like Chuck Cayo for a definitive answer, but I think the front curved windows are common between the mid-seventies thru the end of production.

I could foresee maybe a 3-piece design that would work similar to the old Silver Streaks. By adding a center cover to the side covers you already have made, I would wonder if a system like that would come in any cheaper than the cost of a new one of the original design? I think the original is something like $600 + shipping?

But I agree.... those curved side windows really need to be protected going down the road
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

A single piece ala the original would be the least expensive. I like the way the Avions cover hinges up.
Cost should be under 600, packaging and shipping, no idea.
Becky B.

Post by Becky B. »

I built rock guards for my daughter & my Avions. I documented it in a tutorial style in the Airforum site. Here's a link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454/bu ... 22061.html
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Becky B.! Long time, no see!!

Thank you for the link to your rock guard project! You did an amazing job, and yours is the best I have seen.You do incredible work!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???