1987 34W - New 14" Roof Vent Lids.... an option

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Razorback

1987 34W - New 14" Roof Vent Lids.... an option

Post by Razorback »

(I had posted this on the Yahoo site, but thought I would add it here in case someone was looking for options for replacing the original Hammond vent covers on their Avion... adding pictures here, too.)

The Hammond 14" vents on our 1987 34W that are over the bathroom and the rear bedroom were missing lids, but they DID have Camco RV vent covers over them. Although the plastic lids were long gone, the previous owners were nice enough to keep the hardware that was needed to fasten to a new vent lid. Although I WOULD have ordered some replacement lids from Cayo if I HAD to, I wasn't real keen on their price. After thinking about it and seeing what kind of vent lids were available, from the reproductions that Cayo makes to the Camco lids at Camping World, I decided to try the Camco lid. Well, with a Camco #40146, a few items out of my "I might use it some day" collection, and some basic handyman skills, I was able to finally cover those vents! The lids were $20 each at my Camping World. All I need now is some type of weather strip to make a tight seal on the lip of the vent.

Here's what I did:

Take the new lid and remove the metal hinge and lift bracket by drilling out the rivets that fasten them to the plastic lid. Be careful and you will not make BIG holes in the plastic.
I used a pair of end nippers (google that..... if you don't have one of those in your tool kit, get one! You'll find lots of uses for it..) to nip away the plastic center rib that is on the underneath side of the lid (from where the lift bracket was removed). I removed most of the rib... left maybe 1/8" of it across the width of the vent. Still seemed plenty rigid for this application. A Dremel tool with a cutting wheel would probably work even better. Removing that rib will allow the fan blades to clear the lid if the fan happens to get turned on with the lid closed.
Then, I mounted the original lift brackets onto the screw mechanisms on the vent, placed the lid on the top edge of the bracket and saw where to drill holes through the vent lid. I drilled 3 holes for each bracket, as there were 3 holes in the bracket already. Had to ream them out with a drill bit for the fasteners I was going to use. I used bolts very similar to this: slotted bolt, and nylock nuts: nylock nuts to attach the lid to the bracket... nylock nut on the top side. Between the bracket and the lid, I put some butyl tape, because I had some to put there.
In my case, I reinstalled the Camco RV vent covers over the entire vent.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the results, and ESPECIALLY happy with the cost of the project.

Since doing this project, I have yet to totally seal the gap between the new vent lid and the upper edge of the opening. I have not really felt a need to do that, even on the hottest summer days or the coldest winter days. A foam seal of some sort could be easily added.

I was always reminded (especially when I woke up in the morning and stared at one) that I needed to clean the inside roof vent screens.Today, I finally cleaned them using a dilution of Super Clean Degreaser and water. I brushed them gently with a nail brush, then rinsed them with the sink sprayer https://www.superclean.com/products/sup ... degreaser/

It it amazing how nice they look now! Even cleaned the little crank knobs!
Attachments
IMG_1928.JPG
IMG_1929.JPG
IMG_1930.JPG
IMG_1931.JPG
IMG_1932.JPG
IMG_1933.JPG
IMG_1934.JPG
IMG_1935.JPG
IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1937.JPG
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
DJ18

Re: 1987 34W - New 14" Roof Vent Lids.... an option

Post by DJ18 »

this is exactly what we need to do. but it looks like our 85 25H has 15" square vent lids. Am I measuring wrong? did the size change between 85 and 87? thanks
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I bet we’re talking the same thing.....
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

the vent covers sold by vintage trailer give the dimensions of 15 1/4" square. Our camping world is in the next town, so a bit of a drive. I went yesterday and all the vent covers in stock would not have slipped over the opening my husband said we have to cover. I measured them and they were 14" square from edge to edge. then I read the model # you used, and I looked up the #40146, sure enough, the edge to edge measurements were 15.5 x 16.2 so that would sure work! camping world didn't have that in stock, but it is available at a few other places, so we will order that lid. thanks!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Hmmmmm. I sure didn't realize that there were others that were actually smaller than the ones I used. I am soooooo glad I mentioned the model number. I like to do that with stuff I mention because I like it when others do the same so I don't have to guess at the exact product that is used. I don't like the frustration of reinventing the wheel, either.

Glad it helped!!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

thanks again for taking the time to share your solution to replacing vent lids. I could't find the camco 40146. so I got the closest to it, no model number on the box. It came out great! whew. spent more time overthinking than it took to actually just get it and retrofit it.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
wirelessguyny

Post by wirelessguyny »

Based upon the dimensions I found the following item on Amazon. I believe this should be the correct size:
Camco 40155/40158 White Polypropylene Vent Lid

I can report back when mine arrive.

does anyone have any clue how to find those cranks? Sadly, I wasn't as lucky getting many of the oringal parts with my trailer and now I have to hunt a lot of this down.

I was able to clean the lifters with some WD40 but the plastic that does up/down has long cracked from the rivets that went thru them. I may try and see if I can remove one and measure it off to 3D print some replacements.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

The only place I have seen the original style Hammond vent cranks is on eBay.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
wirelessguyny

Post by wirelessguyny »

I'll have to see if the window cranks are the same as the roof vent.

Someone posted these specs (for the window crank) on the 3D printing forum. It may be useful to others here:
.3" diameter 12 point splined shaft

Free files to print would be here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1662808

I haven't found the flat round cranks anywhere. there are flat butterfly types that are commonly found on trailers that may work. I don't have the 3D modeling skills but I do have the ability to print stuff here.

If anyone is interested I did find a Hammond vent kit on ebay but its way out of my range (plus I'd need two):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132493207878
wirelessguyny

Post by wirelessguyny »

wirelessguyny wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:53 pm Based upon the dimensions I found the following item on Amazon. I believe this should be the correct size:
Camco 40155/40158 White Polypropylene Vent Lid

I can report back when mine arrive.
Good news. I can confirm that the vent above fits without issue. I installed two of three i purchased (ran out of 1/8 rivets.)

I was careful to drill out the old ones and use the small metal plate as a template for making holes in the new vents. I did remove the center metal bar but left the side bracket on. It doesn’t get in the way and I ensured it was facing a side wall and not the front/rear.

A few photos included here.
Attachments
392EA531-F2BB-470B-A48A-D86D20BAC7BB.jpeg
77DA74B2-AE61-4F25-B9D7-3C55BF0BA712.jpeg