Exterior Sealants

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Jason

Exterior Sealants

Post by Jason »

I have a 1979 that hasn't been sealed in probably 15 years. Needless to say it leaks, allot. I'm trying to decide on a sealant that will hold up for a few years but still be possible to completely remove in case I botch the job, or when the sealant inevitably fails. Any suggestions?
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Exterior Sealants

Post by KYAvion »

Where are your leaks happening? Parbond from Vintage Trailer Supply (see link at bottom of page) in aluminum color is great for smaller seams when used with painters tape. Eternabond is great for the main seam on the roof.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

I have used Parbond sealer to seal all the seams, lighting fixtures, awning fixtures, and window gaskets. I have also used Eternabond tape on the roof. I inspect the perimeter of sub-floor periodically, and its all dry, even after torrential rain. Some say the Eternabond tape may go bad (its a pain to remove it). So far its been fine. I know of others who also have had no issues. Here is a photo of the roof. You can never be 100% sure, but I'm 99% sure the roof cannot leak (knock on wood!).

P.S. I also put 2" X 2" patches of Eternabond tape on every rivet on the roof.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Looks good. Is that eternabond along the awning rail too?

I did eternabond along the main roof seam and the seams along the end caps. The previous owner had also used Koolseal, so I applied a new coating of it as well. I know some hate that stuff, but so far no issues at all.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Rostam - you're roof appears to have two fridge vents. What's that second one for? Or did you relocate the fridge?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Yes, its Eternabond along the awning rail. The vent on the left is for fridge. The one on the right, I think, is for range hood. I have to verify that though as I'm not sure :)
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Jason

Post by Jason »

I think I'll do the parbond and cover it with eternabond, I like the belt and suspenders approach. Rostam, How many feet of it did you use for your coach? Mine is a 8.5 meter (28 foot) and I thought about 100 feet of the aluminium 4 inch tape would be enough. Now I just need to figure out how to get my 240 pound 6'2'' self on the roof without damaging anything :)
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

I believe I bought two 4" X 50' rolls, and then bought another 2" X 50' roll. We have a 26' Avion.
BTW, the roof surface must be cleaned up before applying Eternabond. I believe Paul (one of the admins) has a link with photos and instructions (I used that as a reference myself).
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Rostam wrote:I believe I bought two 4" X 50' rolls, and then bought another 2" X 50' roll. We have a 26' Avion.
BTW, the roof surface must be cleaned up before applying Eternabond. I believe Paul (one of the admins) has a link with photos and instructions (I used that as a reference myself).
As a matter of fact......... I know I have that posted on another site..... I need to add a new thread here that details the Eternabond roof seam project. Thanks for the reminder.

I ordered 2 50' rolls of 4" Eternabond Alumibond tape, used at least one and a half of the rolls. However, I didn't seal either of the drip rails (that is a good idea..... might finish that up some day soon.)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???