Refrigerator

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
Avionstream

Refrigerator

Post by Avionstream »

Anyone install a regular nonrv fridge, we're tired of playing with ours. How difficult to remove current fridge and install new residential fridge. Not worried about next owner.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Refrigerator

Post by KYAvion »

I installed a 4.5 cu foot residential fridge in my prior 79 Airstream and it worked great. While it may sound small, the interior actually seemed quite large. I ran it off a modified sine inverter when traveling and it would stay ice cold. The only drawback was having to use bungee cords to keep the doors shut.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-4-5-cu ... R/50160173
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Avionstream

Post by Avionstream »

Thanks for the response.
Mark R. Obtinario

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

I put in a Fridgidaire to replace the OEM Norcold. There was so much wrong with the Norcold I never even considered repairing it.

The Fridgidaire is almost the same size inside as the Norcold I took out but the exterior size is considerably smaller. If you haven't noticed, due to the way in which an RV fridge makes things cold the shelves are not nearly as deep as an all electric fridge. As a consequence I got a fridge of the same interior volume with the bonus of more cabinet space above the fridge.

Because my wife and I both sleep with CPAP machines we almost always stay where we can hook up to the juice. We have camped a few nights along the way to places where we used an invertor to run our CPAP's. I have also used the invertor to run the fridge for a while. We basically were able to keep the interior of the fridge below 40* over a hot 4-day weekend and we still had more than enough juice to keep our CPAP's working. Our friends who were camping with us had to make two trips for more ice that weekend.

If you get the interior as cold as it will get before you put anything into it you will be able to keep the interior colder longer. As you pack the food in you need to pack cold food, pack it tight, and make sure the freezer is full. Water bottles are nice and handy if the freezer isn't already filled with frozen food.

I suppose what I like best about the Fridgidaire compared to the Norcold is I can purchase four Fridgidaires for the price of one Norcold.
Avionstream

Post by Avionstream »

Was it an easy swap out? Just pull the old one out and turn off the gas and then install the new one. Electric us already in back.
Avionstream

Post by Avionstream »

Thanks for the info!
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Funny Mark mentioned the Norcold, because mine replaced an old Norcold as well. Like he said, the fridge was shorter in height, but interior space was the same or more. Plus because it was shorter I was able to add a microwave above. The fridge fit the space well, but to seal things up you have to trim it in. I left the flue in place so heat could escape, but I extended the front of it with foam board to extend the chimney down to my new microwave shelf. Three bolts at the rear fastened the fridge to the floor and a bracket mounted to the wall held the top of the fridge down. I also added a little fan blowing up the chimney to help with ventilation (not necessary, but easy enough to do). As far as electric, I added a dedicated circuit for the fridge, and plugged a microwave into the existing outlet. The fridge draws such few amps that it probably would have been fine sharing an outlet, but I'm a fan of dedicated circuits for things like fridges. It's a little bit of work to get everything built in, but well worth it. And as Mark said, it's cheap enough so if it breaks down on the road, you can just stop and get another one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BEZZB ... UTF8&psc=1
image.jpeg
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Avionstream

Post by Avionstream »

Also,thanks.
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

I just ordered this refrigerator because according to the measurements it should fit in the hole that the old non existent fridge was. I might have to plane about 1/8 of an inch off the top of the cabinet, maybe. I will see when it gets here. It is an AC only fridge so I plan on powering it from an inverter when the time comes. Presently it won't be problem as the trailer is pretty much stationary and plugged in.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab