12V fans for the back side of the fridge

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
Razorback

12V fans for the back side of the fridge

Post by Razorback »

Currently in the beginning phase of putting together four small 12VDC fans to mount in the space behind the fridge. The fans I have are already mounted 2-each to a metal frame. I took each fan's individual power wires (black and red), grouped each color together, and joined them together with a wire splice. I also fastened the two metal frames together by drilling two holes in each frame and using those holes to secure them to each other with bolts and nuts.

I plan on using the 12VDC connections on the control panel of the fridge as the power source for the fans. I will make it a switched circuit, with the switch inside the trailer somewhere. Also will add an inexpensive adjustable thermostat temperature controller with temperature probe that will turn the fans on and off at preset temperatures.

It ought to add to the efficiency of the fridge in hot weather by providing good airflow up the fridge chimney. I hope to get this finished this week.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
russedgar

Re: 12V fans for the back side of the fridge

Post by russedgar »

Hey nralifer,

I am assuming that you are installing the fans at the top of the chimney behind the refrigerator. They would then pull the air up and exhaust it through the vent on the roof.

I am planning on the same.

I looked at my refrigerator just now and there is only room for one fan to blow over the coils from the bottom.

Best regards,

Russ
1984 30R
2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
http://edgarranch.com/rv198430R.html
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

russedgar wrote:Hey nralifer,

I am assuming that you are installing the fans at the top of the chimney behind the refrigerator. They would then pull the air up and exhaust it through the vent on the roof.

I am planning on the same.

I looked at my refrigerator just now and there is only room for one fan to blow over the coils from the bottom.

Best regards,

Russ
Yep, up top.....
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I ordered the thermostat this evening... coming on a slow boat from China for less than $5! http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Adjustable- ... SwBnVW9Pwv

And, picked up an on/off switch at Lowes to put somewhere inside the Avion.

Also, came across several San Ace 172 12V fans for free!! I cannot find this exact model on the Sanyo Denki site, but it says it is a 12V 2.3A fan. Looking at similar fans on the web, these are $50-$80 fans that have bearings and are designed be very reliable and long-lasting. Here is a similar one: https://products.sanyodenki.com/en/cont ... roCon=1280

I am going to use one for an exhaust fan over the stove. For the stove, it should be much quieter than the one that's there now.

I will experiment and settle on what I think is the best for behind the fridge.

I cannot wait for the thermostat to show up!!!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

For behind the fridge, I think I have convinced myself to install the smaller fans that I was originally going to install, rather than the one, big, round one.

The big one would just be too much.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

The slow boat from China arrived today!

I hope I can get this project done this week.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Worked on this today after work. Got the basic installation done, just need to mount the fans in the upper part of the chimney, figure out where I want to mount the on/off switch and the thermostat, and tidy up the wiring. Ran out of light outside, so the rest will have to wait for another day.
Attachments
IMG_2260.JPG
IMG_2261.JPG
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Looks great. What did you use for the metal cage around the fans?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote:Looks great. What did you use for the metal cage around the fans?
Those cages are what the fans were originally mounted to.

If I remember correctly, those fans were the result of repair actions on a couple of servers. These particular servers have two sets of two fans, and we got called for service when one set of fans quit working (the fans have rotation sensors on them, and a failed fan will make the server "call home" for service). As a rule, when we get a call like this, we replace BOTH sets of fans to eliminate another possible service call in the near future for a failure of the other fan set. So, we end up with a set of fans that are still "good". The old parts are not returnable and go for recycling, so I figure these would get recycled at my house!

These particular fans can be bought fairly cheaply. If I had bought them, thus without a metal frame, I probably would have bought some metal bar stock from Tractor Supply and mounted them to that, using some rubber washers or mounting tabs that are made specifically to help dampen any vibration/noise from being induced through the trailer.

I am still going to experiment with one of the other fans I have just to see how much noise it makes.....

my expectation, though, is that this other fan would make too much noise to use behind the fridge.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I did a similar thing in my previous trailer with these Noctua fans. Lots of different sizes and whisper quiet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BEZZB ... UTF8&psc=1
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R