12V fans for the back side of the fridge

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
Razorback

Re: 12V fans for the back side of the fridge

Post by Razorback »

I got the fans installed tonight!

First, I removed the cover over the fridge roof vent and removed the wire mesh screen that was tacked to the edges of the vent. Then, fished a couple of wires up the chimney using a 2-piece fiberglass rod. Found that the four fans on their frames (pictures posted earlier) fit perfectly down in that vent. I secured the fans, then fabricated a new mesh cover out of some perforated metal sheeting that I had on hand. Secured that cover over the vent opening, then reattached the vent cover to the roof.

Then, went to the sidewall opening and mounted the thermostat to the inside wall just above the top of the sidewall opening. I will probably cover the thermostat with a clear plastic cover of some sort. Gathered up all of the wires and the on/off switch with wire ties. I decided to leave the on/off switch tied up inside the rear of the fridge compartment rather than find a place to mount it inside. We'll see if that setup works OK... if not, I will relocate the switch inside.

I made the fans turn on, then climbed up on a ladder to where I could feel how much air was moving out of the roof vent. VERY nice airflow! Then I went inside to see if I could hear the fans running. VERY low noise level.... just a nice, barely noticeable hummmmm.

I will leave the DIP switches set for the fans to turn on at 85F and see how that does.

Happy with the install!

Here are a few pictures. I'll have to get "after" rooftop pictures later.
Attachments
IMG_2469.JPG
IMG_2470.JPG
IMG_2472.JPG
IMG_2473.JPG
IMG_2474.JPG
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Here is an "after" picture up on the roof:
Attachments
IMG_2491.JPG
IMG_2492.JPG
IMG_2493.JPG
IMG_2494.JPG
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Looks like a great setup. Well done!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote:Looks like a great setup. Well done!

Thank you. I think this will be a very practical update that I will like knowing is there, whether anyone else knows or not.

If anyone is interested, here is a chart that came with the thermostat that shows the wiring and the DIP switch settings (Chinese notations, of course.)
Attachments
IMG_2498.JPG
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Checked to see if the link to the Ebay listing for the thermostat was still good..... it is..... currently $4.46, and free shipping.
Mine has worked flawlessly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Adjustabl ... SwBnVW9Pwv
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Salty

Post by Salty »

After reviewing this post again, I'd like to compliment you on the wire management down at the bottom of the fridge area. Nice work.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Salty wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:01 pm After reviewing this post again, I'd like to compliment you on the wire management down at the bottom of the fridge area. Nice work.
Why, thank you! I try to make things neat. I hate things to look like a rat’s nest.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W