Range hood

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
KYAvion
Site Admin

Range hood

Post by KYAvion »

I'm looking to replace the original range hood with a quieter one in stainless. Any recommendations?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Markinalaska

Re: Range hood

Post by Markinalaska »

If you ever find one let me know as I plan on upgrading mine as well. The originals light is weak and the fan is loud. Besides it wasn't kept up and looks like it needs a load of work to get up to my standards.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Sort of been distracted with other things so I haven't researched it much. If you find a good one please post it here as well.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Dexter/Ventline has vent hoods..... maybe the S0721 series?:

http://www.ventline.com/

http://ventline.com/i/u/6148923/f/RV_Li ... _11-11.pdf
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

The hood in my trailer measures 20" deep x 24" wide x 5.5" high. So the closest I found on ventlines site is this one. It's 18" d x 24" wide, I'm not sure of the height but I'm assuming they are all about the same. It isn't stainless, choices are black or white.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

We have a 1988 30-W under re-construction. The fan over the range doesn't work. The fan housing is 25"W x 20-1/2" D x roughly 6" H at the back and tapers to 4" at the front. It covers the entire cook surface.

I too went searching for a replacement fan and hood. I found one at 24" wide and 18" deep in white. The problem is it, like others, are designed for a 12" deep upper cabinet; our's is 20-1/2" deep like the housing. The new hoods are square and then taper toward the front. They leave a void between the front 6" of the fan housing and the bottom of the cabinet. They are also cheap and don't move a lot air.

But there is a fantastic solution. There is a company in Lapeer, MI called Fabulous Operating Products. They produce a SAM-1-81 Range Hood Upgrade Kit. It is a fan housing that replaces the one inside the old hood. It is 12-volt, 3-speed, with LED cook surface and night lights. It runs about $200 and available on-line or through RV centers.

This kit has great reviews. It can actually double as a whole trailer exhaust fan at top speed. There is a little sheet metal work to remove the old one and install the new. But the instructions are well written with customer support from the company.

From the outside, the fan hood looks original. When I do mine, I might get the hood powder-coated black for easier cleaning.

I'll update the forum when I get into it. I have bigger fish to fry now; brakes, suspension, holding tanks, water heater, etc.

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

silverloaf wrote:We have a 1988 30-W under re-construction. The fan over the range doesn't work. The fan housing is 25"W x 20-1/2" D x roughly 6" H at the back and tapers to 4" at the front. It covers the entire cook surface.

I too went searching for a replacement fan and hood. I found one at 24" wide and 18" deep in white. The problem is it, like others, are designed for a 12" deep upper cabinet; our's is 20-1/2" deep like the housing. The new hoods are square and then taper toward the front. They leave a void between the front 6" of the fan housing and the bottom of the cabinet. They are also cheap and don't move a lot air.

But there is a fantastic solution. There is a company in Lapeer, MI called Fabulous Operating Products. They produce a SAM-1-81 Range Hood Upgrade Kit. It is a fan housing that replaces the one inside the old hood. It is 12-volt, 3-speed, with LED cook surface and night lights. It runs about $200 and available on-line or through RV centers.

This kit has great reviews. It can actually double as a whole trailer exhaust fan at top speed. There is a little sheet metal work to remove the old one and install the new. But the instructions are well written with customer support from the company.

From the outside, the fan hood looks original. When I do mine, I might get the hood powder-coated black for easier cleaning.

I'll update the forum when I get into it. I have bigger fish to fry now; brakes, suspension, holding tanks, water heater, etc.

Bob
Great info. Could you please share a link to the product?
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Here is a link to the company website that manufactures the SAM-1 range hood vent fan upgrade kit.

http://www.fabulousoperatingproducts.com/. Highlight the Upgrade Kit and click Installation Instructions.

Today I removed the original fan housing from the hood. Drilling out the small spot welds is rather labor intensive. What I'm left with is an empty vent hood. I'll order the upgrade kit in the next few weeks.

I talked with the company owner today. Here are a few of his comments:

1. the exhaust outlet is smaller than the existing duct in the outside wall. The unit will align right to the duct.

2. the upgrade kit has pre-drilled holes to screw/rivet it to the old hood. Screws are included.

3. There are switches for the fan and light are located on the side of the unit. But he recommends using the existing rocker switches as well. Set the fan and light to a common position on the fan unit. But use the old rocker switches for the actual on-off. This eliminates fumbling under the hood to get things started.

Finally, it appears Rustoleum spray paint will work fine for re-finishing the hood. Gloss paint is the easiest to clean.

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Thanks!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

That upgrade kit looks interesting. I just emailed the company to ask how many CFM their fan moves. I believe the standard RV fans move about 100 CFM, which is about worthless.

It'd be nice to also find a nice looking hood with a relatively large (deep) capture area to go with the fan.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R