Electric heat options

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Electric heat options

Post by KYAvion »

So how's that Vornado compare to a regular (and cheaper) ceramic heater?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I like the Vornado. Not sure I'd shell out $90+ bucks for one... "free" wasn't bad, though.

I like the air circulation.

Even on the high setting, it doesn't get hot.... it's more of a steady, low heat. I bet it will be good in cool weather. It's pretty limited when it's frigid outside. Maybe if you warmed up the interior with the furnace, the Vornado might be OK.......

But, there's still no substitute for the furnace, and I LOVE our WAVE 8 catalytic heater.

Still, my "ideal" would be the Kimberly wood stove. I realize that is not everyone's cup o'tea, though.

And, I will definitely keep the 1500W ceramic heater.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Doesn't sound like you're too impressed with the Vornado compared to the basic ceramic heater. I would think the Vornado would do at least as well as the ceramic once the trailer is initially warmed up by the furnace. At 1500 watts, I think they both would put out about 5100 BTUs.

Do you know the BTUs of your CAT Heater?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Not that I don't like it..... it's just different.

It moves air better than the ceramic heater. Circulation is the whole idea behind Vornado fans.

But I can't hold my bare hand in front of the ceramic heater.

I'll definitely use the Vornado in the trailer. Maybe with use, I'll take advantage of it's differences.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

This weekend, on our trip to Branson, we have been able to use our Vornado heater. I REALLY like it! I think it is a great heater for non-bitter-cold applications. Temps are getting down to the upper 30's and low 40's overnight.

When we came in from visiting with neighbors tonight, we turned on the furnace to get the Avion heated quickly (to 70 or so). Then we turned on the Vornado. We don't have it turned on HIGH and it is keeping the Avion's interior between 75 and 80..... it will be nice sleeping tonight!

I have not had a chance to test the heater with outside temps below 30, but I really like the way it heats in these temps.

(Between the Vornado and the rum, it feels really good in here!!)

Glad we got it!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

After the trailer is warmed up, the Vornado alone is keeping the trailer 75 degrees? That's impressive given you have a 34 footer. I'm now using an oil filled radiator heater sitting in the hallway along the bathroom wall, and a small ceramic mounted out of the way up front next the to kitchen. I actually ordered a Vornado last Thursday from one of Amazon's warehouse specials, so I'll see how it does next weekend. Sounds like it does a much better job of eliminating cold spots.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Dan'l

Post by Dan'l »

I'm a little surprised at how popular space heaters are in RVs.
The heating systems in our trailers are designed to provide easy efficient comfortable heat. My owner's manual says to turn on the furnace before we begin our trip, and set the thermostat just as we would at home. Not only does it keep the trailer cozy, it also keeps the plumbing functioning during bitter winter weather.

We have a space heater in our trailer. It's there for backup in case we run out of propane (which has never happened). We have the smallest ceramic heater we could find. It works well enough. Wife turns it on sometimes to "knock the chill off", then she gets all manner of grief from me for not using the furnace :roll:

So I'd much rather use the furnace. If I'm so cheap I don't want to use the propane when I have "free" electricity, then I'm too poor to own an RV. OR, I should get a basic campsite without electricity. The cheaper campsite will save so much money I can run the furnace full blast all day long, and still save a lot. I could save even more by selling my Avion and buying a popup and only camping in warm weather.
Dan & Marlene
1989 Avion 34VB
2008 Toyota Sequoia
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I hear what you're saying about the ease and comfort of the furnace. Electric heat is a nice feature though and avoids having to routinely fill up the propane tanks. I routinely use our Avion in the winter as a second home on weekends and I use the furnace to bring the trailer up the temp, and then shutoff it off and maintain with electric heat. No issues with the plumbing whatsoever, and if I were running solely on propane I'd probably have to refill the tanks every other weekend, which becomes a hassle.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I'm with KYAvion. It's not so much about being cheap..... I'd do the same thing if we were bajillionaires. It just makes sense to us to do just as was described if we are plugged in at a camp site. Lessens the trips to Tractor Supply for propane..... although that's a good excuse to make another trip to Tractor Supply!

For really cold weather, my goal is still a Kimberly wood stove..... I hope it happens someday!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote:After the trailer is warmed up, the Vornado alone is keeping the trailer 75 degrees? That's impressive given you have a 34 footer. I'm now using an oil filled radiator heater sitting in the hallway along the bathroom wall, and a small ceramic mounted out of the way up front next the to kitchen. I actually ordered a Vornado last Thursday from one of Amazon's warehouse specials, so I'll see how it does next weekend. Sounds like it does a much better job of eliminating cold spots.
How has your Vornado been for you?

We are out and about, woke up this morning and there was a slight chill in the trailer. Turned on the Vornado and it made the Avion comfortable in no time.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W