Hitch jack removal help

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
Tarnished

Hitch jack removal help

Post by Tarnished »

Tried to remove the electric jack today. No idea if it's the original. Threaded machine screws came out but damn if I can get the thing to move. Am I missing something? A hidden bolt? Could it be rusted in? The original on my airstream came right out.
silverloaf

Re: Hitch jack removal help

Post by silverloaf »

Tarnished wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:18 pm Tried to remove the electric jack today. No idea if it's the original. Threaded machine screws came out but damn if I can get the thing to move. Am I missing something? A hidden bolt? Could it be rusted in? The original on my airstream came right out.
Every electric jack I've seen has only 3 bolts. However, the cylinder and hole in the a-frame can be an interference fit. The rust makes it difficult to remove.

Here's an idea: Put a bottle jack under the a-frame and remove the electric jack bolts. Lower the bottle jack and put the entire tongue weight on the electric jack.

Unless there is something really weird about your electric jack, 600 lbs. of tongue weight should break it loose.

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Tried that Bob, didn't work. Will attempt to turn it with a pipe wrench today and/or figure out some way to get penetrating oil into the sleeve.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

How strange. I'm really curious to hear what is causing it to stick.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Tarnished wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:38 am Tried that Bob, didn't work. Will attempt to turn it with a pipe wrench today and/or figure out some way to get penetrating oil into the sleeve.
I took a look at my jack. There is a 2-1/2" round sleeve that protrudes through the welded gusset under the a-frame. The jack's cylinder tube runs through this sleeve. The sleeve appears to be welded to the gusset. I can't tell if the sleeve is part of the jack housing. If it is, it will be major surgery to get mine out.

My jack (called Super Jack) was manufactured by Barker Manufacturing in Battle Creek, MI. They have been around since 1953 and supplied jacks to Avion. They might have a quick answer for your dilemma. I called them last summer on a wiring question and were helpful.

Here's the website:
https://www.barkermfg.com/

Let me know how you make out.

Merry Christmas!

Bob

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

I think we're talking about the same thing. The enclosed pics show the end of what might be some sort of bushing.
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Tarnished wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:52 pm I think we're talking about the same thing. The enclosed pics show the end of what might be some sort of bushing.image1.JPGimage2.JPG
Yup! that's it. A call to Barker might solve the question.

Bob

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Contacted Barker today. Yes it's a bushing to inhibit movement. They now use plastic............Ha,
As the steel ones sorta kinda rusted! Any remedy? Just put some penetrating oil on it and a jack under the stem!
Looks like this is going to take awhile.
Thanks for the info Bob as the name is completely obscured on my unit.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I'm surprised Barker didn't have a solution for you, considering they went from rusty metal to plastic.

Any evidence of weld marks where the top flange is secured to the a-frame?

Bob

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Doesn't look to be any welds. Pouring PB Blaster into it and will try the floor jack tomorrow.
There is what seems to be the bottom of the bushing showing in the above photos. If the jack doesn't work tomorrow I'll try grinding it off. Have I mentioned how much I love lying on my back working overhead :D
Paul