Short tow vehicle

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
Sawmiller

Short tow vehicle

Post by Sawmiller »

Not going on the road with this one! Wish I could. Works really great for moving around the property though. Should post on the air forums just to stir the pot.
Attachments
IMG_3572.JPG
Razorback

Re: Short tow vehicle

Post by Razorback »

Two beautiful specimens you have there! Love 'em both!

Reminds me of a picture I saw somewhere of an Avion of your vintage that looked like it was hitched to a Chevy Chevette!

You ought to post that on AF and say that you want to run it by the Canadian towing combination guru and get his opinion. :lol: :mrgreen:
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
RISK

Post by RISK »

I love old landcruisers. What year is that? I had a '75 in the early 90's and that thing was a tank. Always regret selling it, but used the funds to buy a plane ticket and bummed around Europe for several months, so in the end it did what it was designed to do... it for me somewhere.

I'm always casually searching for a '74 as my dream vehicle (I'm not really a car person).

I figure the weight of those things would cancel out some of the length... maybe not. I would definitely be hard to speed unless in a school zone.

Thanks for sharing,
Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Sawmiller

Post by Sawmiller »

The fj is mostly a 74. My son and it built it when he was in high school about 8 years ago. We put it together from parts from 3 different trucks. He drove it all through high school and into college. I've ben messing about with land cruisers for close to 30 years. Have three of them now.

Just like the Avion they are stoutly built and will last forever if taken care of.

Ian,

Will let you know if I come across a 40 for sale. They seem to be getting harder to find, at least in the southeast. Prices have increased drastically in the last 10 years also.
RISK

Post by RISK »

Sawmiller,

Thanks for the reply. Mine was completely stock and was mocked by the rich kids as "gramp's truck". funny thing was, that all had fancy pants Jeeps that I always had to pull out because they got stuck. Got my FJ through a series of vehicle trades, started with a POS super beetle that I paid $300 for and ended up selling the FJ for $3500 if I remember correctly.
I was down in Trinidad and Tobago last year for work and FJs were a dime a dozen down there. I looked into shipping one back and it suddenly became more expensive then finding one here. I'd love one, but with 3 vintage trailers I think my wife would commit (or divorce) me if I brought one home as a project... maybe. That doesn't mean don't look though...

Would love to see your other ones as well.
Where are you in the South East?

Thanks,
Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)