Diesel engine oil

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
Razorback

Diesel engine oil

Post by Razorback »

We have a 1995 ford F250 with a 7.3L PowerStroke engine in it. Currently, it has 129,000 miles on it.
We have owned it for 7 years now, and it had 71,000 miles on it when we bought it.
I did a lot of research trying to decide an engine oil to use. I focused on recommended ratings and specs, not flashy advertising or familiar brand names. Long story short, I decided on Tractor Supply Company's Traveller 15W-40 diesel engine oil. http://www.warrendistribution.com/TSC/h ... neoils.htm

To satisfy my own curiosity, I have sent off several used oil samples to Blackstone Labs for analysis to see what they have to say about the oil. Consistently, the results confirm that the Traveller 15W-40 is a really good oil. Currently, it is priced around $35/5-gallon pail. That is $20+ less than some well-known branded oils.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005

Just thought I would pass on my experience with this... and am attaching a copy of the latest analysis report, that shows the history of the analysis that has been done.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
silverloaf

Re: Diesel engine oil

Post by silverloaf »

nralifer wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:41 am We have a 1995 ford F250 with a 7.3L PowerStroke engine in it. Currently, it has 129,000 miles on it.
We have owned it for 7 years now, and it had 71,000 miles on it when we bought it.
I did a lot of research trying to decide an engine oil to use. I focused on recommended ratings and specs, not flashy advertising or familiar brand names. Long story short, I decided on Tractor Supply Company's Traveller 15W-40 diesel engine oil. http://www.warrendistribution.com/TSC/h ... neoils.htm

To satisfy my own curiosity, I have sent off several used oil samples to Blackstone Labs for analysis to see what they have to say about the oil. Consistently, the results confirm that the Traveller 15W-40 is a really good oil. Currently, it is priced around $35/5-gallon pail. That is $20+ less than some well-known branded oils.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005

Just thought I would pass on my experience with this... and am attaching a copy of the latest analysis report, that shows the history of the analysis that has been done.
Very impressive. Gotta love data.

We used to have a saying at Ford Powertrain Engineering: "In God we trust. All others bring data."

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Thank you, Bob.

I have been quite pleased with their oil, and it gives me more money to put toward camping!

I have had some guys poo poo the idea, even with the data.... more power to them, I say. It's their money.

Reminds me of the Avion/Airstream thing... :mrgreen:
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Sawmiller

Post by Sawmiller »

Guessing the black stone process is pretty simple. What does the sampling process cost? I have a 2007 f250 6.0 liter. Known For issues. I have owned it since new. Trouble free so far. Would like to send in a sample and see what condition my condition is in.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Free test kits, $25/analysis.

First, you order some free sample kits. When you are ready to get a sample and send it, you go to the Blackstone site, pay for an analysis, then you will capture a sample in a plastic bottle, wrap it and pack it inside another bottle, then mail it. In the payment process, you specify your vehicle, customer ID, and the oil specifics that you are sending. I take mine to the post office, have them weigh and apply postage, then away it goes. Once they receive it, they analyze it, then send you an email with a .pdf report that looks like what I attached to my post.

I recommend it to anyone who wants to take care of their diesel engine. You don't have to do it every oil change, but that's up to you.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Sawmiller

Post by Sawmiller »

Thanks for the reply. Will get some kits on order. Will probably send a sample in from my Detroit 353 sawmill engine also.
Sawmiller

Post by Sawmiller »

Kit ordered. Thanks again.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Sawmiller wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:23 pm Kit ordered. Thanks again.
You're welcome! I'd be curious to know the results for both engines.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W