Anti sway hitch??

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
NorthernMaineAvion

Anti sway hitch??

Post by NorthernMaineAvion »

Hi all. Here is the deal. I am due to tow this thing home in a couple weeks. I have never towed something this large. I have heard of the sway caused by being passed by trucks and I am wanting help with an anti sway hitch choice. I am not very familiar with the mounts for the stabilizer bars, do they attach to the side of the tongue with permanent mounts? Here is a picture of my trailer tongue. Is that a mounting point on the side? Just below the propane tank base?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/ ... 3asycc.jpg

KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Anti sway hitch??

Post by KYAvion »

I replaced the weight distribution system and friction type sway control on my trailer with the Propride 3P. It's expensive, but eliminates (not just reduces) sway. The weight distribution is also super easy to dial in. The ride with the 3P feels really secure. With either system nothing is really permanently mounted (no welds, just u-bolts and other bolts) other than a ball type piece that was bolted to the tongue for the original friction sway bar that was on my trailer. The ball had a square mount with four bolts if I recall correctly, so that may be what you're looking at. It's hard to tell from your pic though, and I see 6 bolts so I'm not sure what the other 2 are doing.

I don't see any weight distribution or sway bar on your tongue. What will you be towing with and how far are you traveling, and at what speeds? Also, what's the length of the trailer?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
NorthernMaineAvion

Its a 26 ft trailer, 7500 lbs rated weight although bunks in bedroom have been removed as well as benches dinette stuff in front. Has a lightweight futon in bedroom and 2 recliners in living room. Water heater removed. Old propane fridge replaced by modern electric about half the weight. There is currently no water storage tank or propane tanks. All in all should be if anything a bit lighter than whats listed on the plate.

New Dodge Ram pickup 1500 hemi with towing package trans cooler brake controller.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

7500 is probably the Max load for the trailer, not the dry weight. It probably weighs around 5,000lbs.

To get it home, how far are you traveling and at what speeds? If your truck can handle the tongue weight (which I'd be surprised if it couldn't) and you stay under 55, you may be ok to drive it as is, and then put the WD and sway control on once you get home. That said, installing one in the field isn't that bad. I installed the Propride on site and it took me about 2 hrs.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
NorthernMaineAvion

I appreciate the education thank you. I'm assuming if I do buy a hitch that I should
buy it to be rated at the 750 pounds tongue weight and 7500 pounds max weight. From what I have read getting something with too much capacity is bad? I have access to several sets but they are 1000 lb tongue wt and 10000 lb trailer max
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I'm no expert, but you may be fine with the 1,000 bars as long as you apply less WD when using them. The issue is you don't want bars so stiff that you beat up the trailer, so ideally the bars would have more flex since you've got less tongue weight. However, on the upper end at
15% the tongue weight would be 1125lbs if you go be a trailer weight of 7500lbs. That said, I bet you will be closer to 5500-6000lbs loaded, so at the upper end again you're at 900lbs tongue weight. Based on that, seems like the 1,000 lb bars may be ok. Hopefully someone else will chime in as well.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

We have a 1978 26-H. GVWR (maximum allowed weight of the trailer) is 7500#. Axle ratings are 7000# (3500# each). The loaded weight of our trailer (travel ready, but with all tanks empty) is around 6000#). I believe you should be better off with 750# bars, as I've heard heavier bars would result in a rough ride and could also damage the trailer. Good luck!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Rostam may be right. I think it also depends on on how stiff the suspension of the tow vehicle is. The softer the TV, the stiffer the bars can be.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
NorthernMaineAvion

Re: Anti sway hitch, and also brakes...

OK I have obtained a nice WD with built in Anti Sway hitch of the appropriate capacity. I will attempt to install in the field.

I always look at worst case scenario so I am prepared. What if the brakes on my Avion are not working well or at all? I have never towed anything that big so I am an uttter newbie sorry. My friend with the truck is certainly experienced, but I wish to know if it would be safe. We have 2 trucks that can tow it. 2016 Toyota Tundra 4.6 engine with a 6400 Lb tow rating and a Dodge pickup 1500 Hemi 5.7 with tow package with about 8000 lb rating.

Would I be better off with the hemi in case the brakes were not good, or am i going to be stranded unless the trailer brakes are functioning?
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

You towing on flat or on hills? How far?

A concern is how long ago the bearings were greased? You may need to pack them, and while your at it there's not much to installing new brake assemblies.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R