Hitch weight

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
Avionstream

Hitch weight

Post by Avionstream »

I have a 1984 30P, has anyone gotten an actual real life hitch weight for one of these? I would estimate about 750 pounds but never weighed it. What about for some of the other 80s models.?
Razorback

Re: Hitch weight

Post by Razorback »

That is on my to-do list..... to attempt to measure the tongue weight of our 1987 34W as described in the owners manual (I think that is where I saw the bathroom scale/boards method). Thank you for reminding me!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I haven't done it with our 30R yet, but the easiest way is to take a trip to the scales at a truck stop. Get at least 3 readings with the trailer LOADED and ready to travel--1st reading with weight distribution engaged; 2nd reading with weight distribution not engaged; and a 3rd reading for the TV only (drive off the scale and park the trailer and return back to the scale). With each reading the tow vehicle axles should be on their own scales.

With the above you can calculate the tow vehicle weight, gross combined weight, travel trailer weight, tongue weight, and load transferred when weight distribution is engaged. I also found it helpful to get two or three extra readings with various weight distribution settings. Just be sure to keep track of the sequence of any extra readings so you can match them up with your scale tickets. Also give the attendant a heads up about what your doing. The whole thing sounds like a hassle, but it isn't that bad and it's pretty enlightening.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Avionstream

Post by Avionstream »

I understand that, but I'm lazy and just thought someone had done the work for me. Thanks, I can also use the method stated in the owner's manual.
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

I inspected a 1978 30R a couple of years back (I did not buy it, as it was in poor shape, abandoned in a farm). I have a Sherline scale and I weighed the tongue weight. Under the jack, it read 700# (on the coupler I guess it would be 650#). I am assuming the water tanks and LP tanks were empty. Interestingly, I have not weighed my own Avion yet! Per CAT scale readings I suspect it be around 600#.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Mark R. Obtinario

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

I would guess my 1981 34V would be about 800 lbs.

Fully loaded and ready to camp it weighed less than 8,000 lbs.