Hitch jack removal help

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
silverloaf

Re: Hitch jack removal help

Post by silverloaf »

Tarnished wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:47 pm Have I mentioned how much I love lying on my back working overhead :D
Paul
That's tough duty. I spent about over 3 months under ours. My back always protested when punctured by metal shavings and old screws.

I still surprised the rust is capable of supporting the tongue weight with the bolts removed. Up North, it would qualify as a weld.

Did you consider using a floor jack under the a-frame and quickly releasing it onto the electric jack? Maybe put some jack stands under the frame members to limit the drop. I would think the jolt(s) might be enough to break it loose.

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Yep tried it. Still soaking in PB Blaster. Will try again on tues.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Unbelievable!

You are certainly demonstrating a lot of patience.

I would have the cutting torch fired up long before now.

Bob

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Sometimes we're bound to fail. I give up. It must be welded but I can't see exactly where and don't want to damage the hitch or the jack itself.
Ordered the manual override handle from Barker.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Tarnished wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:21 pm Sometimes we're bound to fail. I give up. It must be welded but I can't see exactly where and don't want to damage the hitch or the jack itself.
Ordered the manual override handle from Barker.
Ever think of calling Chuck Cayo?

Bob

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Any success getting this thing removed?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Haven't worked on it. Unfortunately 😁 I had to decamp to fla in the Argosy on the 15th, and a lot of golf. Should put me in a better mood come April.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Well, when you get in a better mood and get all of those distractions out of the way, let us know when you start on this again!

(Just jealous...)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Back at it. I had given up a couple of months ago. The bloody thing worked so to hell with it for now.
Checked everything 2 wks ago prior to leaving for fla. All was well. Tues the jack would only retract! Crap.
Hour and a half later underway.
The switch gave up. Found a motor repair in Dudley, Ga. 50 bucks, new switch. Works but sounds rough. Will replace if able to remove at friends place in fla.
Question; the current tube is 2" od, the new Barkers' are 2 1/4. Mine is bushed out. Can anyone confirm a 2 1/4" tube will fit my '77 Travelcader? I can't quite get an accurate measurement.
Fortunately I carry 2 hyd jacks. What a pain in the butt before I got to Dudley.
Winter camping at its finest. High 70's at Little Ocmulgee SP, McRae, Ga. golf in an hour. Onto Waycross tomorrow for more golf then finally fla. :D
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Finally got the s.o.b. off. What a PIA it's it's been. The new Barkley makes life so much simpler and easier.
IMG_0582.JPG
This is the bushing that caused the problem. After a couple cans of PBS a large pipe wrench finally dislodged it.