Tank Level Monitoring

Freshwater System, Grey and Black Tanks, LP Gas
silverloaf

Tank Level Monitoring

Post by silverloaf »

Does anyone have experience with tank level monitoring systems?

We purchased our 88 30P about 2 months ago. All tanks were empty. We didn't have a chance to check out the tank level monitoring system. We have wires running to the 40lb aluminum propane tanks. But they go nowhere.

I not sure whether to keep the old monitoring system or go with something new. I really don't want to cut up the existing monitoring panel over the refrigerator for a digital read-out.

I have 2 of 3 water tanks out. Now is the best time to install new sensors. Horst Miracle Probes seem to be the go-to sensor. I can always do something with the monitoring piece when everything is back together.

Your input is appreciated.

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
silverloaf

Re: Tank Level Monitoring

Post by silverloaf »

After further consideration, I decided to scrap the existing tank monitoring system on my '88 30P.

Drilling out the existing sensors and installing the Horst sensors is rather risky business. The old ones are spin-welded into the side wall. Furthermore, relocating the sensors to a different point on the tanks has issues of their own (clearance, service, spacing, etc.). Chuck Cayo reminded me the Avion tanks are no longer available if I damage them.

After doing the research, I chose the Garnet 709-HP3W-1003 Seelevel II Model Tank Monitor System. The senders look like a circuit board and are secured to the outside wall of the tank using the peel-and-stick method.

It is a 2-wire (18 ga) system for tank monitoring. The senders are encoded to a specific tank by removing certain tabs on the senders. According to Garnet Tech Support, the each wire color can be tied together; only one 2-wire conductor is needed to the monitor display unit (MDU). The MDU understands each tank based upon the tab removed from each sender.

The MDU has provisions to measure 3 holding tanks, LPG and battery voltage through a digital read-out. There are separate on-off switches for the water heater and pump. To mount the unit, I'm going to replace and store the existing service panel above the fridge with a new one.

After mounting the senders, Tech Support recommended using a rubber packing sheet to protect them. They are available at the big box stores.

The monitoring system just arrived. Per Tech Support's recommendation, I purchased it through rvupgradestore.com for $210.

My heart wanted to preserve the original system. But my mind said replace it with something more user-friendly and less problematic.

More to come.

Bob

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Very interesting.... I will have to keep this in mind. Looks like a nice product.

Here is a link to the model you mentioned: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Garnett- ... 9-ph3w.htm
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

nralifer wrote:Very interesting.... I will have to keep this in mind. Looks like a nice product.

Here is a link to the model you mentioned: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Garnett- ... 9-ph3w.htm
Here's the latest status on my SeeLevel tank monitoring system:

I started the process of locating and anchoring the tank senders to the 3 tanks. The monitoring system package came with (3) senders, each 12" in length. The senders can be cut down in 1-1/2" increments to a maximum of 4-1/2". In my case, I cut the fresh water sender to 7-1/2" and the black tank to 6".

Because the gray tank is only 4-1/2" deep, I had to exchange the regular sender for the junior version. It enabled me to cut the sender in 1" increments (or 4").

Garnet says it is important to find a flat surface near the lowest part of the tank to peel-and-stick the senders. They say the sender must not wrap around rounded edges of the tanks; the sender could pick up false readings.

Since I have the black and fresh water tanks out, locating and mounting the senders was relatively easy. This includes covering the senders with rubber gasket sheets to minimize signal interference near steel.

But the gray tank is another matter. It is still in place and tightly trapped on four sides by steel cross-members. Some are heavy structural to the chassis and suspension; some are lightweight for floor support only.

Removing gray tank would involve breaking loose the drain and vent connections. They are leak-free now; I don't want to open up a can of worms.

I'll report out again on how I solved the sender issue with the gray tank.

Bob

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Thanks, Bob. Look forward to hearing how it goes.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R