Solar panels

LFCox

Solar panels

Post by LFCox »

My 25' 1977 Travelcader has two 10 or 12" x 36" solar panels on the roof...not sure if they are original to the trailer or not. Last year I changed out the original 3 way refrigerator...it was then that I discovered the solar panels were wired to the back of the fridge there was an on/off toggle switch mounted just inside the entry door below the gas wall heater.

When i installed the new refrigerator I unhooked and taped up the wires. I'm thinking of installing a solar controller and hooking the two panels back up I'm just not sure how I can get the wires from the refrigerator compartment to the battery ?
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Solar panels

Post by KYAvion »

One thought would be to run the cables through some flexible vinyl tubing attached to the underbelly.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
rogermimssandi

Post by rogermimssandi »

From my reading on installing solar panels, the manufacturers of the panels recommend hooking up to the back of the refrigerator because it is a direct connection to the battery. The connection made may reverse feed through the fuse box or not. I only report what I have read. Solar panels are in my future but I will need more research on both the panels and the wiring. I imagine your wires leave the roof through the heat vent for the fridge directly to the back of the fridge. That is the easy way.
russedgar

Post by russedgar »

Please do not connect solar panels to the 12 volt wire at the refrigerator. A charge controller is needed to regulate the voltage to the batteries.

Best regards,

Russ
1984 30R
2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
http://edgarranch.com/rv198430R.html