Upgrading the 12V Electrical System

silverloaf

Upgrading the 12V Electrical System

Post by silverloaf »

I'm trying to decide what to do with the 12V system on our 1988 30P. We purchased the trailer in June. We have been running it off house power while we work on it.

The unit currently has 1 Interstate SRM-24 Deep Cycle Marine battery (10 years old) and the original 110v-to-12v converter. It also has the Cayo 4-bay battery box.

Any recommendations on upgrades?

Thanks.

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Re: Upgrading the 12V Electrical System

Post by Razorback »

I must have missed this when you originally posted it. Have you decided on anything yet?

I am not an expert by any means, but here is what I would consider: First..... will you be relying much on battery power? If not, I would get a couple of 6-volt golf cart batteries and connect them in series to get the 12-volts that is needed, and replace the charger section of your power center with a Progressive Dynamics PD4645V smart charger.

If you will need battery power regularly, get 4 6-volt batteries, connecting each pair in series (to get 12-volts), then the pairs in parallel (to get more 12V capacity), and replace the charger section of your power center with a Progressive Dynamics PD4645V smart charger.

I don't know the dimensions of the 6V batteries, so I am not sure if they would all fit in the 4-battery box that you have.

I don't mind tending to wet-cell batteries, so I would not see a need to spend tons of money on non-wet-cell batteries. With the new charger, you won't need to worry about cooking the batteries.

The first option is what we will be doing on our Avion. We rarely go anywhere that we are not connected to at least some AC.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???