Pump Wiring Problem

mtrojahn

Pump Wiring Problem

Post by mtrojahn »

As this is my first post, a little background. We purchase this '68 A-25 at a farm auction in late December 2016 from the original owner. The unit had sat undisturbed inside a farm building since 1976. We are how in the process of going through systems one at a time, testing, repairing or replacing as we go.
Avion 1.jpg
I have moved on to the water pump wiring. In trying to reinstall the pump I found in one of the upper rear cabinets, I ran into a problem. There is only one wire to connect to.
As the photos show, there is a red sheath wire with white and black wires along with a separate single black wire. The two black wires are connected with a wire nut that I cannot remove unless I use more force to check for voltage for fear of damaging the wires as they only protrude about an inch from the wall.
So the question is, just what wiring am I suppose to find here? What should I be looking for? I do know that there is a “pump switch” on the wall by the sink that should or would supply power to one leg of the pump wiring. Just don't know where its wiring goes or how it gets to the pump.
On a side note. I discovered that there is wiring in the upper front cabinet. (See photos). In addition to a coax wire there is a red sheath wire with exposed ends that is “hot”. These is also a endless loop of black and green wires coming out of and going back into the wall which I assume are 12v supply lines, same as the ones in the cabinet above the sink. Or are they? Don't now if this is connected in any way to the pump issue.
Any help would be appreciated,
Clueless in Illinois.
Pump Wiring 1.jpg
Overhead Wiring 1.jpg
Mike Trojahn
'68 A-25
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Pump Wiring Problem

Post by KYAvion »

I have an 84, so my trailer is different. However, can you locate the plumbing that would connect to the pump? Are there any wires in this location?

Do you have a multimeter or 12v automotive tester? With that I'd determine which wires are hot with the water pump switch ON. Next, do the same with the switch off to locate the wire that is no longer hot.

If things have been stripped out and you are pretty much starting fresh, it's not difficult to run new wiring and a switch.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
mtrojahn

Post by mtrojahn »

First, thanks for the reply. My main problem as I see it is that I only have ONE wire so I can't put a meter on, the white one. If one of the black wires in the yellow wire nut goes to the toggle switch by the sink (which I'm thinking it does ), where then is the return wire? Also, I have no access, as far as I know, to the back of that toggle switch to place a meter.

On a side note, is the KY in your handle for Kentucky? my wife is from Lexington.
Mike Trojahn
'68 A-25
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

mtrojahn wrote:First, thanks for the reply. My main problem as I see it is that I only have ONE wire so I can't put a meter on, the white one. If one of the black wires in the yellow wire nut goes to the toggle switch by the sink (which I'm thinking it does ), where then is the return wire? Also, I have no access, as far as I know, to the back of that toggle switch to place a meter.

On a side note, is the KY in your handle for Kentucky? my wife is from Lexington.
Yes, you're right about KY. Lex is a great town.

Looks like I revised my post above at the same time as your reply.

With your meter or 12v automotive tester, you just need a good ground to see if a 12v wire is hot. This can be the frame, a bare part of the trailer skin, negative terminal on battery, etc.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

How many wires are in that red sheathed cable? A white and two blacks, and the two blacks are connected by the wire nut?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Check out the 1969 Owners manual on the second page of the Documentation forum. Per the manual, the pump was located at the front of the trailer on the left hand side, which I assume is where that red sheathed wire is located?

Also, when testing your 12v wires, don't forget to check to make sure your fuses are all good.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
mtrojahn

Post by mtrojahn »

I am aware of the location of pump and the photo of the wires are indeed in the front left corner. It looks like I am going to have to remove the connector from the two black wires and check them for voltage. Once I determine where I can get voltage from, hopefully the white and black wire in the red sheath, I will need to locate a new pump switch with wiring external to of the interior wall.

By the way, I have a complete 1968 Operation and Service Manual in a pdf file.
Mike Trojahn
'68 A-25
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Ok having a hard time telling by the pic, but are only a black and white in the red sheathed cable? And the other black is separate?

If the red sheathed cable contains only a single black and white wire, I'd imagine the white is your neutral and the black is the hot. Question is though, where does the 12v load go on that other black wire? It's probably supplying juice to something. Maybe some lights that are grounded to the frame/skin.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
mtrojahn

Post by mtrojahn »

I will try to get my phone in a spot for a more clear photo of just what is there tomorrow. Can't get my eyes it there to see.
Mike Trojahn
'68 A-25
mtrojahn

Post by mtrojahn »

Pump Wiring 3.jpg
OK, this is a closeup of the only wires in the pump area right next to the fresh water tank (end of the tank is on the right). There is one red sheathed cable with black and white wires and a separate single black wire. Both black wires are connected to the each other. The yellow wire nut is crimped on so that I will have to cut it off. Almost impossible to reach into this area and still be able to see what you are doing.

Unless I or someone else has a better plan as to what I should do next, I am going to remove the yellow connector, test for voltage and then add wire onto each of the black wires. I plan on soldering on wires and then covering the joint with shrink tubing. Hopefully, I will have 12v here afterwards. Wish me luck.

Or maybe someone has an old well pump I can just mount by the sink. Yes, that might work! Wife says if I do that, it has to be red.
Old Pump.jpeg
Mike Trojahn
'68 A-25