Pump Wiring Problem

KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Pump Wiring Problem

Post by KYAvion »

A limitless well pump sure would be nice!

It's too bad it's such a tight squeeze. My bet is that the black inside the red sheathed cable is your 12v hot, and that the other black carries 12v to something else.

Look forward to hearing what you discover. It'd be great to see some pics of your interior in the Pics forum when you have a chance.

Good luck!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
mtrojahn

Post by mtrojahn »

After testing with a circuit tester I found that the results were interesting. First test was from the white wire with the testers' probe inserted down into the yellow wire nut and making sure contact was made with the black wires. Nothing.

Second test was with white wire still attached to the tester and the probe grounding into a random pop rivet hole resulting in the tester lighting up. Not what I expecting but at least I have 12v at the pump area coming through the white wire. Also tested the white and black wires in the front overhead cabinet. Found the tester would light not only when connected to the white and prob grounded to the shell, but would also lite when connected to the back wire. So the black wire in the overhead in the red sheathed cable is grounded while the white wire is hot. Two completely different results that should be the same.

What I need is a 12v wiring for the '68 A-25. I can find online a very good diagram for a '68 C-11 but not for a trailer.
9132afa7cb04441a7eec53eae243010e.jpg
There must be one somewhere like this for a trailer.

As far a interior pics, I have removed everything that can get in the way while I am going thought things so not much to show. I can take some of the disarray if you like. Come to think of it, I do have some pics I took just as we got it. I could post those if I knew where to put them. Let me know.
Mike Trojahn
'68 A-25
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

mtrojahn wrote:After testing with a circuit tester I found that the results were interesting. First test was from the white wire with the testers' probe inserted down into the yellow wire nut and making sure contact was made with the black wires. Nothing.

Second test was with white wire still attached to the tester and the probe grounding into a random pop rivet hole resulting in the tester lighting up. Not what I expecting but at least I have 12v at the pump area coming through the white wire.

So unless there's a short and your skin is hot, then it sounds like the white is your 12v feed.

That's interesting that you aren't getting a reading across the black and white wires. I assume also that testing with the probe on the black wires and a probe on the rivet hole also results in nothing? And there isn't corrosion getting in the way of making a good contact on the black wires? All fuses definitely good?

With the pump switch turned off, did you lose juice along the white wire?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
mtrojahn

Post by mtrojahn »

I get voltage on both white wires, the one in pump area and the one in the overhead cabinet. No voltage on black wires at either location using rivet holes but do get voltage on the cabinet white to black. So it appears that the white wires are the 12v Hot. Haven''t hooked the pump up as yet as I purchased a new Shurflo pump. I am pretty sure I tested with the pump switch in both positions but I will recheck that.

It looks like I am going to have to install a new pump switch in a new location.
Mike Trojahn
'68 A-25
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I guess the good thing is that your pump will be at the front of the trailer, so if you choose to run new wires from your batteries it will be fairly easy.

As far as Silver Avion pics, check out the Silver Avion Trailer Pics forum on the main page.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R