Venting 34XB batteries

ericlarson

Venting 34XB batteries

Post by ericlarson »

Post moved from Introductions forum.

Thanks for the replies. I successfully installed a different three stage charge/converter and also installed two 120Watt panels and a Morningstar Duo controller. I removed the two 12volt marine batteries that were in the battery compartment and installed two Trojan T105 batteries. There are two other 12volt marine batteries in the basement under the couch/behind the battery compartment that are connected to the system. The prior owner had these installed but I don't like the way they are open in the basement. Explosive gases can accumulate. I also have no way to easily remove these 12 volt batteries or service them. Anyone have any tips? Took the rig out for a shake down and found need of a new 20' awning. Had fabric installed by cheap labor and am now paying the price. Live and learn. Torsion spring broke so I just ordered two new ones for the A & E Elite 9000 awning. I'll install these myself with help from a buddy. (We have experience replacing awning fabric.) The largest concern of mine is that in my last couple trips the fresh water tank leaks. I was told that the tank had a leak and would hold 50% of the usual 70 gallons. Now I find it drains completely. The leak seems to be aft of the forward axle near center or slightly toward the driver side. It is in a space in the basement that is inaccessible. Any tips on troubleshooting this or links to companies that do tank repair/replacement in SoCal would be appreciated. Don't send info about a company unless you have experienced their service in water tank repair. Links to blogs on how to get to the tanks (from the top or from the bottom) would also be helpful. I plan to be towing this trailer to Florida in the Spring and look forward to meeting some of the fellow Avion owners on the trip. Let me know about any future Avion rallies that are coming up. Safe Travels, Eric
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: New Avion owner only 10 days

Post by KYAvion »

As far as the extra batteries in the basement compartment, a consideration might building some casing around the batteries and venting it to the outside. I suppose an alternative might be venting the entire compartment instead.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
russedgar

Re: Venting 34XB batteries

Post by russedgar »

If you want four batteries in the XB, use the normal sliding battery tray for two on the road side. Then place two matching batteries in the door side compartment adjacent to the battery compartment. If you are worried about battery off gassing, you could easily vent the door side compartment.

Note: I just installed four crown amg batteries inside the trailer, under the twin bed in my 30R. You could do the same thing under the queen in an XB and be close to the fuse/breaker box.

Best regards,

Russ
1984 30R
2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
http://edgarranch.com/rv198430R.html
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

How are you venting those batteries under the bed in your 30R?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

One of the nice things about AGM batteries is that they do not need to be vented.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
russedgar

Post by russedgar »

Yes, they are sealed batteries. No venting.

Best regards,

Russ
1984 30R
2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I believe they may last longer than regular lead acid batteries in terms of years of service. Is that correct?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
russedgar

Post by russedgar »

I think they actually last a little less with normal usage. But since they are no maintenance, they may last longer. A lot of users fail to add water when needed. Mine have a good Magnum charger keeping them charged. I also have two meters showing their state of charge.

Best regards,

Russ
1984 30R
2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

ericlarson wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:00 pm Post moved from Introductions forum.

Thanks for the replies. I successfully installed a different three stage charge/converter and also installed two 120Watt panels and a Morningstar Duo controller. I removed the two 12volt marine batteries that were in the battery compartment and installed two Trojan T105 batteries. There are two other 12volt marine batteries in the basement under the couch/behind the battery compartment that are connected to the system. The prior owner had these installed but I don't like the way they are open in the basement. Explosive gases can accumulate. I also have no way to easily remove these 12 volt batteries or service them. Anyone have any tips? Took the rig out for a shake down and found need of a new 20' awning. Had fabric installed by cheap labor and am now paying the price. Live and learn. Torsion spring broke so I just ordered two new ones for the A & E Elite 9000 awning. I'll install these myself with help from a buddy. (We have experience replacing awning fabric.) The largest concern of mine is that in my last couple trips the fresh water tank leaks. I was told that the tank had a leak and would hold 50% of the usual 70 gallons. Now I find it drains completely. The leak seems to be aft of the forward axle near center or slightly toward the driver side. It is in a space in the basement that is inaccessible. Any tips on troubleshooting this or links to companies that do tank repair/replacement in SoCal would be appreciated. Don't send info about a company unless you have experienced their service in water tank repair. Links to blogs on how to get to the tanks (from the top or from the bottom) would also be helpful. I plan to be towing this trailer to Florida in the Spring and look forward to meeting some of the fellow Avion owners on the trip. Let me know about any future Avion rallies that are coming up. Safe Travels, Eric

We use AGM batteries at work because there is no venting. I have two regular lead acid batteries in my 34XB. I’m going to switch to AGM once these are in need of replacement.
One option is to extend the wires inside a MC cable and moun5 the batteries under the dining table seat. They would be relatively easy to service then. You can mount them in battery boxes if you wish or build a holding tray

If you’re in Orange County, OC rv but I don’t know if they do trailers. I had a small Bounder 8 took in to them tha5 a friend stored at my place and they were great to deal with.
Whatever you do do not go to Mike Tomphson RV. Horrible experience

Can you take a pic of the factory battery hold area? I need to wire mine up and when I got it from my uncle there were no batteries. I have two white and one blue wire coming off the trailer but not sure how to hook up.
Thank you