Tank Drain Pipe Heaters

Tips and tricks for cold weather use of your Avion
KYAvion
Site Admin

Tank Drain Pipe Heaters

Post by KYAvion »

In addition to pad heaters on my black tank, I also installed a 25" long pad heater around the pipe between my black tank and gate valve. They make designated pipe heaters that one would wire in with a switch, but since the pad heater was the perfect length for my application and also operates via a thermostat, I went that route instead.

I'm debating whether to install a switch on the pipe heater so I can turn it on only prior to dumping. Gate valve heaters work in this fashion--only being turned on just prior to dumping. My question is, with the heater only being turned on just prior to dumping, would any expansion in the pipe from freezing just make its way into the black tank?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
pbsled

Re: Tank Drain Pipe Heaters

Post by pbsled »

Do you run those heaters instead of adding some antifreeze to waste water or in addition?
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Tank Drain Pipe Heaters

Post by KYAvion »

I run the heat pad around the black drain pipe pipe and the black tank pad heaters INSTEAD OF adding RV antifreeze to the black tank. I use our trailer routinely throughout the winter, so these heaters allow me to not have to worry about dumping the black tank or adding antifreeze to the tank between uses.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R