Winter camping

Tips and tricks for cold weather use of your Avion
$hide

Winter camping

Post by $hide »

Hi guys. Rob invited my to comment on my full time winter set up so here goes.
Exterior water. My hose is both heat taped and insulated with the heavy pipe foam from Lowe's and then wrapped with heavy duty black duct tape to keep it dry. This includes taping and wrapping the 2-1/2' of faucet at the site. I also have an additional insulated vinyl cover over the hose bib. I do drip my faucet when it dips into the single digits.
As I am stationary I also use a solid pvc? sewer hose. It is connected to the RV fitting with a rubber connector and hose clamps. No gluing. Easy to get on and off if needed. You need as much slope as possible.
Inside all the windows except the bathroom and the two curved end ones have the shrink wrapped style plastic on them. Great visibility and cuts down on drafts. I have some reflectix pieces cut for the rear windows that I use on cold days but store under the mattress when it is nice weather. The front windows I just lower the rock guard on cold, windy days. This setup allows for a lot of insulation but on the days that it pops up to the 70s and 80s and here it can throughout winter I can open the end windows, the screen door, and the bathroom window and have great cross ventilation and cooling.
For the winter I do have a 300 lb propane tank with delivery for convenience and price. It is nice not worrying about running out and easier than hefting those 40 pounders in the cold. With the cheaper price I run the furnace freely without worrying about scrimping. I do have an electric heater in my front kitchen to keep my toes warm in the dinette. My usual spot.
In an eight space park right now there are five trailers. Three stationary and two seasonal. Subzero temperatures here the last two nights and of the four trailers with water I am the only one without frozen water. Two have frozen sewers that backed up from dripping their water. The office and quite a few of the motel units have frozen water too.
Just watching a neighbor trying to thaw out his hose. It is a 2' high frost proof faucet. That is what he said froze on him. He thinks because it is called frost proof he didn't need to wrap it. LOL! Frost proof only when turned off. Now he is claiming it is the park's responsibility to heat tape and wrap that. Not happening. They did one year and everyone walked off with the heat tape.
Avionstream

Re: Winter camping

Post by Avionstream »

Enjoyed the info. Thanks.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Thanks for sharing that info. Like you, I use heat tape and the foam pipe insulation. The hose I use is called Ebonyline, which seems more similar to PEX than rubber or vinyl.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAUZF6/re ... UTF8&psc=1

It sounds like you've taken it a step further by encasing the entire lengths of foam pipe insulation in black tape? You also mentioned a vinyl cover over the hose bib. Do you have a pic of that?

BTW, how often do you dump your black tank in the winter, and do you put much RV antifreeze in it?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

What do you think insulates better--the shrink wrap or reflectix?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Thank you for the information.

Will be watching for updates..... I like to learn!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Are you guys nuts? Have you not heard of Florida?
That'll be my winter camping beginning around the 15th of Jan.
Until then I'll be snug as a bug in a rug, at home.
Merry Christmas all.
Paul