Repairing my Roof. HELP!

A general discussion forum
BGarrot

Repairing my Roof. HELP!

Post by BGarrot »

First post! I have a 1968 Holiday Avion! The roof leaks and has some bad patch jobs on top. I have read that rivets are causing leaks. I also have a few dents, leading me to believe they are causing a weakness in the seams. I need some advice on the correct way to patch a roof and advice to remove the dents. I am happy to provide pictures if it could help. Thank you!
silverloaf

Re: Repairing my Roof. HELP!

Post by silverloaf »

BGarrot wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:16 pm First post! I have a 1968 Holiday Avion! The roof leaks and has some bad patch jobs on top. I have read that rivets are causing leaks. I also have a few dents, leading me to believe they are causing a weakness in the seams. I need some advice on the correct way to patch a roof and advice to remove the dents. I am happy to provide pictures if it could help. Thank you!
Pictures are always helpful. Where do you find water leaking?

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
RISK

Post by RISK »

Hello and welcome...

Yes, pictures of the suspected exterior leak(s) and a description of where you are discovering the leaks inside will help us help you.

First thing I would recommend is to go to Lowes Depot or Ace and pick up a couple rolls of aluminum flashing tape. NOT duct tape, gorilla tape etc... you’ll find it where they sell metal ducting. Apply to suspected area.

Rivets CAN leak, but usually it’s a larger penetration that is the culprit such as vents, AC, awning brackets etc...

Whatever you do, don’t start shoving silicone caulk or some other nonsense anywhere. Wait till you’ve actually fixed the problem then apply any or all of the following in order of largest to smallest gaps/seams/rivets
Trempro: for aphereing brackets, vents, patches
Parbond: for existing seems and touch ups in suspected areas
Captain Tollys Creeping Crack Cure: for rivets

Grab yourself a rag and a smallish (1.5-2”) suction cup and check the rivets that aren’t along a seam and test the rivets. Dry rag to clear dust then suction cup. Test the suction cup on a flat area to make sure it’s sound first...

Dents are another matter and could be fairly simple to very complicated to fix. Post pics.

Good luck,
Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Tom

Post by Tom »

I suggest you consider using Alumabond tape. Apply full length of roof seam front to back. Across front of roof. But such that does not show. Also consider running narrow aluminum or duct tape full length of Awning track. calk all window seams.
Some folks even patch all other roof rivets with small pieces of the tape. I calked mine. The creeping seal might help with the seams. I calked all visible seams. Last area that caused my leaks was around the roof vents. Make sure all vents are calked. Check with Vintage Trailer supply for some supplies and help. Also check Avion Owners Site. Active and helpful. Tom '61T20
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

I fully sealed our Avion's roof using Eternabond tape. I have not seen a leak since. Here is a photo.
P.S. Must add, I got this idea from Paul (one of the admins).
Attachments
Roof.jpg
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Looks great! It appears you sealed your awning gutter rails with tape as well? Also noticed you have two fridge vents. Did you rearrange your interior?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Thanks! Yes, I sealed the gutter rail with tape as well. Wanted to make sure all the rivets on roof are covered. The other vents is range hood's. I assumed its factory, but could have been added by on the previous owners (I'm the third owner of this trailer).
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Gotcha. My hood vents out the side of the trailer, so I just assumed others were similar.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

x2 on the Eternabond Alumibond tape. It has done a great job on our Avion. Make sure you start with a very clean surface. Some thorough work will pay off!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???