Adding exterior storage

A general discussion forum
KYAvion
Site Admin

Adding exterior storage

Post by KYAvion »

I've been admiring the outside storage of the 34XB compared to my 30R. Anyone add additional storage bays under their trailer? The 34XB sits significantly closer to the ground than my 30R, so there is definitely room for an additional compartment tucked back under the frame.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Re: Adding exterior storage

Post by Razorback »

The only additional underneath storage I can envision under our non-basement-model Avions would be just in front of or just behind the tires.... and not much more than maybe a tube for carrying a stinky slinky. Anything placed further forward or aft would stand a chance of getting squashed.

The basement model floor is what? 10”-12” higher than ours? Although the top clearance is only about 4” taller, according to the 1989 spec sheets.

I would love to have the storage of the basement models, but I don’t think I would try making any additional compartments on my non-basement Avion.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I keep forgetting that my 30R sits up a little higher from when the prior owner had the MorRyde suspension installed, so I've got some extra clearance. In fact, it increased the height so much that they also had to install a 3 step stair.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

3-steps? Well that changes my opinion!

I guess I'd say to use your best judgement and go from there.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???