Leveling

A general discussion forum
KYAvion
Site Admin

Leveling

Post by KYAvion »

So I've tried something new a few times now when leveling the trailer. Instead of using lego blocks, I've been placing this bottle jack/jack stand between the tires to lift the frame and level. If the trailer is really out of level, I'll set it on a couple lego blocks to gain a little extra height. Of course it also works great for changing a tire too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U ... em_1p_0_ti
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Re: Leveling

Post by RISK »

That looks handy. I have an army of screw jacks, jack stands, scissor jacks and bottle jacks.
Let us know how they work out.
Last edited by RISK on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

If you want to go high-tech, there is an electric leveling system. It uses pre-loaded data (likely GPS) from pre-leveling the trailer on a flat surface before heading out to the camp ground.

At the push of a button on a remote, the stabilizers go merrily on their way to level the unit. Nice concept. But I doubt Avions have the ground clearance for the electric jacks.

So many products.....so many conundrums.

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

I'm buying one. Looks like a great all purpose jack for a trailer or vehicle.
All that's needed now is the Avion.
rogermimssandi

Post by rogermimssandi »

The owners manual recommends a shovel for leveling. park it, check level. Pull it forward,dig a trench for the tires and back it up, check again. When leaving the site, rake the dirt back in the hole (or leave it so the next guy is level). Your foot works well for this. It takes very little time and effort to do this. A 1" deep trench, 4' long and 8" wide will move the bubble one or two places. After you do this once or twice, it gets easy to estimate the depth of the hole you need. Note: does not work on asphalt or cement :lol: . I use a shovel that is just less than 3" long, used mostly for scraping. A garden rake might work better.
Mark R. Obtinario

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

On my 34V I have the OEM hand crank jacks on the four corners and the electric 'A'-frame jack to level and stabilize my rig.

I also carry a selection of 2x6x18 blocks to help with the job. I try never to have any of the jacks in direct contact with the ground regardless of whether it is paved, gravel, dirt, or grass. I have always figured the wider footprint of the block will spread the weight around and it will tend to keep the jacks from getting buried in the mud. Pulling the trailer forward or backward up onto some blocking will compensate for a parking space that isn't quite level.

For Christmas a couple of years ago I got a battery operated impact wrench. With the correctly sized socket on the end cranking the leveling/stabilizing jacks it only takes a few seconds to run them up or down.