Well, it's that time of year.....

A general discussion forum
Razorback

Well, it's that time of year.....

Post by Razorback »

It is that time of year again..... the holidays are over, the weather is not conducive for camping, and I am fighting a head/chest bug..... ARRRGGHHHHHHH!!!!! At least this year I am not sick on our anniversary!

Feeling a bit better today, but the weather went from 70-something yesterday to the 30's today, and I found myself staring out the back door at a very sad looking Avion parked in the back yard. (Any time it is sitting still in my own back yard.... it is a sad thing in my book.)

Wife went to run some errands, so I took the opportunity to grab the keys, go outside, and just check things out in the Avion. :lol: All OK, of course, and it did make me feel just a little bit better! Gets me thinking of trip planning again!

(Anyone else have that same affliction? And I don't mean a head/chest cold...)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
RISK

Re: Well, it's that time of year.....

Post by RISK »

I spend a lot of time in mine, even though the SilverStreak is my office/studio, I get good enough WiFi to work out of the Avion. I just love being in it and feel very fortunate that I have the land to park all my trailers out my back door. I feel sorry for the folks who have to store theirs at a facility, not just for the added cost but for the uncertainty of not having it close at hand.

Getting a trench dug soon to run sewer, power and water up to where I park the trailers and soon after will build an RV port for at least the Avion.

But yeah, I want to go camping. The weather is perfect for it right now in Texas but I’m freelance and they just keep calling me for jobs. A good thing I guess, just need to learn to say no every now and again so I can say yes to life more...

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Ian- I ran water and electric to my Avion this past summer. I kept the water and electric in separate trenches for easier accessibility in the future. For the electric, I decided to go ahead and run a large enough gauge wire for 100 amp service while I had the trench dug (about 180 feet). Cost wise, the wire wasn't considerably more. The conduit is what adds up. Also, prices are best for wire and conduit at an electric supply house and not Lowes or Home Depot. For an outdoor panel with 50, 30, and 20 amp receptacles already installed, as well as several openings for additional breakers, Amazon couldn't be beat.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A8FQU ... alon+panel

For the water I ran 300 feet of 1 1/4" IPS tubing and about 75 feet of 3/4". At a plumbing supply house the cost of PE tubing isn't bad, but the fittings (pack joint fittings) add up fast.

I haven't run the sewer yet, but I plan to just run a 1" PVC line and pump with the Sewer Solution. It takes a little longer, but works well and does a decent job of cleaning the tanks too.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Post by RISK »

My run is about 120’ and slightly uphill from the house to my trailer parking zone which is great for the sewer line back.

I have a licensed electrician buddy who’s been helping me with this house since I bought it and he wisely hid 60 amps from me when we were wiring the house a few years ago. I’ll run an 1 1/2” conduit for a 100 amp wire up. Plumber is going with 3” (I think, I hate plumbing and will gladly pay for it) for the sewer line. Once this is all done I’ll build an rv port for the Avion (sorry Airstream) and another small one for the SilverStreak which has no plumbing but I may add a water line for a sink and daylight the drainage into the field.

Best part? I’ll have a curtesy spot for y’all if you want to stop by for a few days, though a 34’ might be tough to back in to the driveway. I got the 31’ AS in no problem so anything is possible.

Of course I’ll post pics when I’m done.

Planning a camping trip in the next couple weeks if this weather holds...

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

For 100 amp service it looks like 1 AWG aluminum with 6 AWG aluminum ground, or 3 AWG copper with 8 AWG copper ground, will do your 120 foot run with 3% voltage drop or less. Wire at 1-1-1-6 in aluminum requires 1 1/4" conduit, or 1" conduit for 3-3-3-8 copper, so you're good on the 1 1/2". That will make your pull easier especially if there are any bends. If you do have bends, I'd suggest using a couple 45's with a straight run in between to make sweeping 90's. You can buy sweeping 90's as well. Lots of lube helps a bunch too.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Post by RISK »

Dang,
You must be an electrician or totally nerdy when it comes to electrical work. I applaud either...

NRAlifer, we’ve (I) totally hijacked your thread...
Should we continue?
Ok, I will for just this little bit.

The aforementioned plan of sewer, electrical and water run is going ahead as planned, fortunately there should be no abrupt changes in direction except at the fore and aft parts of the run(s). So, good there.

What’s interesting, is that I can legally run a gas line in there too. That’s tantalizing in a way. Not to run to the trailers, but for auxiliary things like water heaters (outdoor shower? Um, yeah...).
My current plan is to use one of the aluminum 40 lb tanks from the Airstream and power a little portable on demand HWH I have and that’ll operate an outdoor shower and/or an outdoor mop sink.

We are trying to do some camping this weekend, I’ll let you know if projects don’t get in the way...

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre