1987 34W - Resealing the upper edge of the beltline

Razorback

1987 34W - Resealing the upper edge of the beltline

Post by Razorback »

The original sealant that was between the upper edge of the beltlne moulding was in bad shape; cracked, brittle, missing in some spots. And, a previous owner went absolutely crazy smearing clear silicone along that seam. I have been slowly removing that mess and finally got it all cleaned off. (I HATE SILICONE!!! :x :x :x )

Tonight I taped off that seam with blue painter's tape and ran a small bead of silver ParBond.

ParBond starts to skin over very quickly, so you have to do a small section (maybe 5-10 feet) and immediately remove the tape for a good result.

I will try to finish that project tomorrow..... and add a picture or two.

I'm slowly but surely getting a lot of detail work done on our trailer.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: 1987 34W - Resealing the upper edge of the beltline

Post by KYAvion »

I need to do that on mine as well. Does the color of parbond match pretty well? I was looking at both Parbond and the Aluminum Gutter Seal on the Vintage Trailer Supply site.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote:I need to do that on mine as well. Does the color of parbond match pretty well? I was looking at both Parbond and the Aluminum Gutter Seal on the Vintage Trailer Supply site.
Yes, the "aluminum" ParBond matches very well.

Here is a picture I took yesterday while I was on the roof..... that was ParBond I was using and you can see it oozing out from under the vent cap. It is a very close match to the aluminum skin color.
Attachments
resizedIMG_1420.JPG
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Here are a few pictures of the ParBond work.
Attachments
resizedIMG_1424.JPG
resizedIMG_1427.JPG
resizedIMG_1428.JPG
resizedIMG_1429.JPG
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

I did the exact same thing in the summer! I covered all seams (horizontal/vertical) with parbond sealer. The roof seams were already covered with Eternabond tape. I think next spring, I'll focus my attention on belly pan.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Rostam wrote:I did the exact same thing in the summer! I covered all seams (horizontal/vertical) with parbond sealer. The roof seams were already covered with Eternabond tape. I think next spring, I'll focus my attention on belly pan.
Yep, the belly pan on our Avion needs attention, too. I'm hoping to do that this Fall or by next Spring. I have already sourced the sheet metal at a heat/air business close to me. Seems like I remember them telling me that it would cost somewhere between $200-$300.

I'll feel really good when that project is done...... last "major" update that I need to do.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

$200-$300 seems pretty reasonable. Please posts photos when you are done as your photos are very helpful and I usually refer to them! BTW, I also changes the AC gasket per your post on Yahoo forum :)
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
FrancescaS

Post by FrancescaS »

Sorry, I only seeing these posts now, have not been on here for a bit..... But it prompted me to ask, because I am still learning.... What is the differences between all the sealing products for these trailers?
For e.g. Aluminum Gutterseal vs Parbond vs Tempro 635? I did read some of the descriptions on VTS, however, it left me a bit more confused as to which product is better or best for certain things. Like what product is best to use on seams, roof seams and vertical seams? I seem to see Parbond around my window seams, it is silver looking like your pictures..... But I also see some black stuff too, used around the window frames, so more than one type of product was used.
I actually bought Tempro635 and am working on getting my roof cleaned off to seal seams with Eternabond Tape. I guess I am asking for some tips of what to use where, or general rules of thumb for these products. Also are there any other products that I have not mentioned that may be good for certain tasks?
Thanks, maybe this was not the best place to post this..... Admin feel free to move this post if you think it would be better elsewhere. Wanted to Segway on your previous posts.
FrancescaS
1969 Avion Argonaut
No Tow Vehicle Yet
Tampa, FL
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Hi, FrancescaS.....

If I had to recommend one of these sealers, I would go with the ParBond.... good for gaps up to 1/8".

Otherwise, I like the Tempro... have also used others... depending on the application, anything that is OK to use on aluminum would be OK.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456/se ... ost1609411
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W