Insulated barriers for roof vents

Razorback

Insulated barriers for roof vents

Post by Razorback »

Our Avion has two of the original Hammond radiused-corner roof vents... one above the rear bedroom and one in the bathroom.

I have been wanting to make some insulated barriers to cover those openings for cold-weather camping, and I have been pondering 🤔 how I might do that in a way that looks decent. And, being the frugal person I am, didn’t want to get too elaborate or expensive.

Push came to shove this morning, as we are preparing for a trip to Branson and the temps are forecasted to be rather cold. I remembered that we had a spare auto windshield sun reflector.... you know, one of those that has a layer of bubble wrap sandwiched between a couple of silver layers.

For a nice look, I trimmed a piece of that reflector to fit on the inside of the vent screen, between it and the ceiling. Made some holes for the screws, cranks, and toggle switches to fit through. Fastened it to the ceiling and it functions and looks great! Should help a tad with heating when it gets cold, and they can be removed easily for the warmer months.

Pics coming.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Razorback

Re: Insulated barriers for roof vents

Post by Razorback »

Pictures.....

I trimmed that exposed edge after I took the picture.
Attachments
IMG_2659.JPG
IMG_2660.JPG
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Nice job on those. Looks good. Going to be chilly up here in the Avion this weekend as well. Forecast is calling for 19 degrees Sat night.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:14 pm Nice job on those. Looks good. Going to be chilly up here in the Avion this weekend as well. Forecast is calling for 19 degrees Sat night.
Yep.... 21 in Branson Thursday night.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Also looking forward to using the Wave 8 heater this weekend. When it is in use, I open the window by the door a bit, then open the living room roof vent slightly. Some day, I might make an outside air intake for that heater.

Ultimately, I would love to install a Kimberly wood stove!

https://www.unforgettablefirellc.com/ki ... ood-stove/

It is CRAZY expensive, but it is an awesome, quality stove. I like the fact that it makes great, dry heat and can generate electricity and can heat water..... with the right add-ons.

With a wood source (or a pile of presto logs), several basic necessities are taken care of.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
RISK

Post by RISK »

I also was wondering about a vent insulator as I have the same vents.
I'm working out of my avion right now and they are forecasting SNOW in austin tomorrow. Yes, Texas. 39 right now. Luckily I have plenty of propane, but I haven't installed a co2 detector yet so hopefully I'll have all my braincells tomorrow (minus the beer)...

Stay Warm my friends!

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)