4 hr drive north picking up my Avion today!

NorthernMaineAvion

4 hr drive north picking up my Avion today!

Post by NorthernMaineAvion »

Its go time! Heading down to hook her up and tow it home ( 26-H ) after having the tires all replaced and axles serviced. I have what seems like 200 pounds in a duffle bag. It holds my Fastway WD hitch with built in anti-sway, all the wrenches, tape measure, sockets, torque wrench, etc to install the hitch for the trip. Brand new 10K lb ball mounted. Ram 1500 hemi 5.7 truck with tow package. Memory foam topper to be used as a temp rock guard. I have the new door lock mechanism and keys, the one in it now has broken inner hanldle and no keys but works, so I will have spare parts when swapped. Its a chilly day for Maine this time of year, so it will not be as hot on the equipment. Wish me luck!!!

Vince in Northern Maine
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: 4 hr drive north picking up my Avion today!

Post by KYAvion »

Sounds like you've thought of pretty much everything. Great idea on the memory foam as a shield. Good luck and be safe!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

What an exciting day! Good luck, and we'll be anticipating a good "coming home" story and some pics!
(I know it is hard to remember to take pictures when you are up to your eyeballs with a trip like this, but we can hope!!)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
NorthernMaineAvion

Enroute
NorthernMaineAvion

Improvised Rick guard so far still on!
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Beautiful! You sure don't see those come up for sale very often.

Glad you thought of covering the front windows.... the middle panes would not be very difficult to replace but this corner windows would be a pain in the wallet!

Thank you for the update! Good luck, and safe travels.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
NorthernMaineAvion

Halfway point. Belly pan connection to street side let go up front. Lost a half dozen screws . Fortunately we had loooong straps we went all the way around over roof and
Tightened it down. Wind ripped out smaller strap wrecking the step cover on the other side too. Axles remail mostly cool. One running warmer that other three but still not too hot to touch.2 more hours to go
NorthernMaineAvion

Made it home! It was late and I was tired so no post until today. Hitch worked great in tandem with air ride suspension on the truck. On a level surface the measurement from frame to ground was exactly the same front to back of trailer, and the front wheel well measured less than a quarter inch higher than not hooked up. Passed by several big rigs on highway without incident. We averaged 65 mph and the truckers were going 75 to 80. Tires were warm but appeared to have no issue, very glad I replaced them all before the trip. Axles were funny. On one side rear axle end cap was noticeably warmer Than the front one, and on the other side it was reversed, the front axle on that side was warmer. None were ever too hot to touch. By the time we arrived, three of them were cool to the touch and only one was slightly warm. 2 of the rims showed grease had been spitting out, would that be normal equalization happening from heat or is that an issue??

I was unable to get it level, and the door is very difficult to open because of it, but I did manage to swap out the lock set I bought from fellow forum member Kyle Blau so it can be locked now. Thanks Kyle!

I plugged it in but none of the lights came on. I saw the rats nest of wires inside the bath cabinet for the inverter and knew I wasn't going to have luck there anyhow. I have a complete system from a late 90s camper to replace the original. The PO claims the outlets all work. I will bring a lamp to verify lol.

I was one tired dude when I got home. A shower then my bed for 9 hours of sleep. Feel much better today!

Vince
cweaton13

Post by cweaton13 »

Glad you both made it home safe and sound! :-D Ditto on the great idea for the rock guard!

Reminds me of getting my '86 34W home. We required a stop at a tire shop to get 6 new tires in the first 5 miles and lost the AC shroud somewhere along the way??? Unfortunately, I had to hire out bringing her home because I did not have a large enough tow vehicle. What a nervous wreck I was the 3.5 hrs she was on the road. Could not have been more relieved when they pulled up. lol!

Really looking forward to seeing what is next for ya'll! Enjoy!
1986 34W Silver Edition
1993 Dodge D250 5.9L 1st Gen Cummings Diesel
Austin & Rockport, TX
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Good to hear that you made it home! Yes, those kinds of trips are exhausting. Just thinking about all of the "unknowns" will wear you out.

Almost 4 years ago, we made a trip 1,000 miles straight north to get our 1987 34W. Left home on a Wednesday at noon, made it to Hancock, MI a little after lunch on Thursday. Took a nap, ate dinner, then got a good night's sleep. Met the seller at 9am Friday, left his yard by noon, and were home by 10:30 Saturday morning. No issues other than needing to duct tape a window closed to keep it from lifting in the breeze while going down the road. Needed to be back home to celebrate a friend's 95th birthday on Sunday. What a whirlwind trip that was!!

Looking forward to hearing more!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W