Fantastic Fan repaired

Razorback

Fantastic Fan repaired

Post by Razorback »

I had the front Fantastic Fan roof vent open yesterday. It rained yesterday afternoon, so I peeked out the back door when I got home from work to make sure the Fantastic Fan vent lid had gone down when it sensed rain. I noticed that the lid was about 3/4 closed, which I knew was odd and indicated something was wrong with the vent. Didn't have time last night to look at it.

So, this morning before work, I went out to the trailer to investigate. The motor would turn, but the lid would not move. I tried the manual knob, but it would just spin freely.

I removed the manual knob, then removed the two screws that held the gearbox in place. That allowed the gear box to come down where I could inspect it. It was intact and appeared to be OK, so I started looking at the lid lift gear mechanism and bracket. I noticed a roll pin sticking out of the side of the lift gear mechanism, where the lift arm would pivot as the lid went up. I removed the rest of the inside shroud (removed 3 screws and the shroud would hang down, suspended by the fan wires), removed 2 screws that secure the lift mechanism to the upper part of the fan, then reached through the fan blades with a hammer handle to push the vent lid fully open so I could disconnect the lift bracket from the lid. Once it was clear of the fan, it was just a matter of tapping that roll pin back into place, then I reassembled the fan.

Works like a charm again!!

(Another situation where I am glad I learned some basic skills from my dad. I cannot imagine what an RV repair place might charge to "fix" that. A less-than-honest business could really make some money on that one! What? Maybe $350-$400 for a new fan and the labor to install it?)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???